Browning trigger spring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtns2Hunt

Reaction score
I just replaced the trigger spring on my Browning 30-06 A bolt with great results: which is giving me a two lb pull. Next I am planning to pillar bed the stock (wood) and receiver. Just wondering what upgrades others may have performed that improved performance on the A-bolt. Thanks for any info or suggestions.

I have about 6 A-Bolt Browning rifles. They all have a 'Medium' or 'light' Timney replacement spring installed. The trigger is just great with that simple change out. I use a medium for the big game rifles & light for the varmint types.

Yes, I'd check the barrel float. After that the next thing to do is experiment with ammo, factory or handloads. I don't strive to compete with the benchrest crowd at 300 yards. I do expect that deer or coyote to go down when I shoot within a reasonable distance though.

Yes, I'd check the barrel float. After that the next thing to do is experiment with ammo, factory or handloads. I don't strive to compete with the benchrest crowd at 300 yards. I do expect that deer or coyote to go down when I shoot within a reasonable distance though.I have about 6 A-Bolt Browning rifles. They all have a 'Medium' or 'light' Timney replacement spring installed. The trigger is just great with that simple change out. I use a medium for the big game rifles & light for the varmint types.

Yes, I'd check the barrel float. After that the next thing to do is experiment with ammo, factory or handloads. I don't strive to compete with the benchrest crowd at 300 yards. I do expect that deer or coyote to go down when I shoot within a reasonable distance though.
Thanks for the feedback! I will check to insure a free floated barrel when I pillar bed the stock. I really like the Browning rifles and plan on acquiring an A-Bolt in 243 as it is a close match to my 30-06. My preference is the A-bolt with the wooden stock (Hunter model I believe). My accuracy is very good at sub MOA @ 100 - 200 yards. I do hand load for accuracy - which means I down load just a bit. I have never been interested in hot loads and have killed deer at 350 yards with my current hand loads.

I am primarily interested in stabilizing the wooden stock now that I have been able to adjust my trigger pull. I hunt in rainy weather at every opportunity I get with great success. I know the standard advice is to use a synthetic stock but I really like wood.

One last question: has anyone used the 243 short mag? If so what would you recommend short mag or regular in 243? I appreciate the feedback!

I hunt in whatever weather is there as I go out, wet or not. I just dry the gun & give it a wipedown with an oily cloth when the hunt is over. I remove the barreled action from the stock it it's excessively wet.

Yes a handloader could deal with the 243 WSSM, but I wouldn't get one unless it was dropped in your lap. It's not doing all that well & the regular 243 is about everywhere.

Thanks for the info on the 243 - I would probably like the regular 243 better anyway. Had one once but made the mistake of trading it off.

Good advice on wiping down your rifle once it gets wet. I do that but have been concerned about the change in POI should I remove the action from the stock. I was thinking that if I pillar bed the stock/action and torque the screws to a set poundage the POI would not change.

My buddy got a 270 for almost free a few years ago. A previous owner put the gun in a cased & left it there while it was wet, the gun was rather funky looking. It did get a new rebluing, but never looked great again.

If I had a gun that was totally wet I would error on the side of proper care, including under the barreled action & take it off the stock. That may not be something a 'bench-rest' shooter would do before a match, but I'd take the minor risk. The few times I have done it I haven't had any problems with notable changes in zero. Truth be known, most of my shooting is 40-75 yards anyway.

Back in the 90's I was going to take a young shooter out with his fairly new 22 rifle, single Mom household. I started by asking him to show me his rifle. He presented a newer rifle with a fair spattering of surface rust. The very 1st thing we did was go over proper gun care. I made sure he had the essentials of gun care. Hopefully some of that stuck with him.

That youngster you trained will probably remember your advice for the rest of his life - Good Show!

I agree that proper gun care is important. I am the type of person that keeps a gun that shoots well literally for decades. My 7mm has been in my possession for 30 years. Throat is rather worn but it is still MOA. I just call it my Weatherby 7mm mag. Same with my TC Pro Hunter, I have had it for 10 years or so and it is in excellent condition except for some wear on the forearm. Of course BH 209 has been a great help.

One only need to look at the used gun rack to see the abuse many firearms get through lack of maintenance and proper cleaning.

I personally would go with the standard .243. It really is a proven cartridge, ammo is plentiful and should you ever want to sell I think it would be easier to move quickly than any of the other .243 variations.
You can do pretty well with some of the handloads also if you like to do that.

All I appreciate the feed back and Jims I think you summed up the 243 perfectly. I am going with the reg 243.

Flhtr said:
What brand spring did you use?

If you are talking about a replacement trigger spring for an A-Bolt, the common one is Timney. They come in 'Lite' and 'Medium'. I put the 'lite' in a varmint type rifles & 'medium' in big game rifles.

Some have experimented with other springs, just fine. The Timney doesn't cost all that much.

Back