B Square Mounts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I got some new ammunition in for my .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk handgun. And I had a Simmons 2x20 handgun scope mounted on the B Square mounting system done by the gun smith. So I was all set to sight in the scope and have a good day on the range... WRONG!!

1-1-DSCN0587_zpsdf63a48f.jpg

The old rule of thumb on at 15 yards, close at 100. So off a bench I took five shots. The first four made me smile, the fifth I attributed to Murphy. Made a scope adjustment and moved the target back to 25 yards.

2-2-DSCN0588_zps37a70aaf.jpg

Shot one and two but something in my brains kept telling me, something is not right with something. So first thing you do is check mounts and bases. Checked the rings and found them loose. OK I said.. that's the problem. Tighten them and said a bad word at the non exhistant gunsmith. And made a slight adjustment and fired three and four. Still, I was steady as a rock and something was not right. OK... lets check it all again.

3-3-DSCN0589_zpsb467ca73.jpg

Sure enough... checked the rings where they meet the B Square base and that was loose. Tighten them. Shot, checked them, tried to tighten again, and shot a few more. On the 12th (number 7) shot of the day, something much more drastic happened.

5-5-DSCN0591_zpsbb88b88f.jpg

The B Square mounting system just came apart! It sheared the screw where the rear sight goes and somewhat in the yard it the rear clamps. So now the handgun is done. I guess its time to visit the gunsmith again. And tell him... LOCK TIGHT!! USE LOCK TIGHT!!

Over all the Simmons 2x20 did great. Nice handgun scope. If the rest of the system would have held together we would be in business.

Ive never trusted them either. Ive never seen anything like that pistol mount. But...That thing doesnt even look like it could work. Im a bit surprised that you could have been taken by that gimmick. Theres more fishing lures designed to catch fishermen that are designed to catch fish.

Originally, it mounts over the cylinder. It uses the rear sight as a back anchor. The revolver broke off the rear sight screw and that released the barrel locking levers. I decided to put the plain old rear sights back on the Redhawk. It was a good shooter before the scope. I scoped it to help out a friend of mine that had a stroke and could not handle a rifle anymore. But loved to deer hunt.

I got a different B Square pistol mount sent to me free of charge from B Square. But they sent me the wrong mount. The one they sent me was for a Ruger Mark II pistol.

DSCN0710_zps77142b0b.jpg

So I took the Ruger Redhawk and the mounts to a gun smith. He got the broken screw out of the revolver and put the rear back sight on it. And since I happened to own a Ruger Mark II target pistol... I threw the scope on that. Its a great shooter. And I am not concerned about recoil on that pistol.

Everyone can make a mistake, at least they took care of it.

Dave,

I did not notice this first time you posted this but I think your gunsmith messed up when he mounted it the first time. I have seen a couple Redhawk's and none of them had a rear site mounted to the barrel, it was back at the rear of the topstrap. So that is odd to me that you have a screw hole there. :huh?:

Looking at the picture of the mount on your pistol, it don't look right to me. Maybe its just the angle of the picture or something, but I don't think so. A couple things stand out to me. First the base does not look level to the barrel rib, the muzzle end of the base looks higher. Second the rear of the base has a cut out on the bottom to fit over something that looks like it is not there. Since it only has one screw in the rear and the clamp in the front, the screw is going to act as a recoil lug, that is why it broke. I had a B-Square mount for a Smith Classic Hunter 44mag (629 frame) and had no problem with it other than I hated that scope being so far out from my face, just felt weird to me. I did shoot a lot of hot loads with no problem though. I don't have the gun anymore.

I can't seem to fund a web site for them, but seems like they are owned by someone else and I can't remember who. I just found it, they are with Safariland now and don't shot that one now. They only show one for Ruger MK 1&2 Browning 22, and the Taurus. Maybe that is why the sent the one for the MKII

http://www.safariland.com/more.../b-square/

I did some digging on the internet and it looks like the mount was placed in the wrong location on your Redhawk, too far forward. I snipped this picture off the internet and it was a little fuzzy but since it is a stainless Redhawk it makes it easier to see the mount location, you can see where the mount looks like it should be. The cutout appears to be for the topstrap, that would stop the recoil and then the base would sit level and then the clamp will be at a real 90* angle to the barrel and get a full clamp, plus I agree with you on the use of Loctite. I think if you move it back like the one in the picture it will work fine and you would be back to shooting small holes again. :wink:

Attachments

• Redhawk with scope 2.PNG
    245.6 KB · Views: 666
safariland owns them. Yes he took the rear sight off the strap and then on my mount there is a hole that matches that hole. Even a screw was provided. It attached to the top strap and then like your picture the barrel clap went around the revolver. It looked like a nice solid set up.

1-DSCN0429_zpsec79c882.jpg

I had sighted it in originally with a RED DOT for my friend to use. It shot fine with that. And I burned up a box of shells with him, just having fun. Then I purchase a pistol scope and decided... why not! So I mounted the pistol scope. Made sure all was tight.

As the target shows... the first shots with the mount nice and tight... wonderful group. The first five shots were a super tight group. Here is where I suspect the screw broke. Because I adjusted the scope to get it in the bulls eye. And as you can see... something is loose. Because I would shoot and find the mount loose. Tighten it, shoot... loose again. And then on the final shot the whole thing shifted down barrel. It was a shame because that scope on that Redhawk sure had it accurate. I was positive with a good scope and mount, that is a 100 yard weapon off a bench rest or leaning type support.

cayuga said:
safariland owns them. Yes he took the rear sight off the strap and then on my mount there is a hole that matches that hole. Even a screw was provided. It attached to the top strap and then like your picture the barrel clap went around the revolver. It looked like a nice solid set up.

1-DSCN0429_zpsec79c882.jpg

I had sighted it in originally with a RED DOT for my friend to use. It shot fine with that. And I burned up a box of shells with him, just having fun. Then I purchase a pistol scope and decided... why not! So I mounted the pistol scope. Made sure all was tight.

As the target shows... the first shots with the mount nice and tight... wonderful group. The first five shots were a super tight group. Here is where I suspect the screw broke. Because I adjusted the scope to get it in the bulls eye. And as you can see... something is loose. Because I would shoot and find the mount loose. Tighten it, shoot... loose again. And then on the final shot the whole thing shifted down barrel. It was a shame because that scope on that Redhawk sure had it accurate. I was positive with a good scope and mount, that is a 100 yard weapon off a bench rest or leaning type support.
Ok. I was going off the picture at the top. Now I see that it was in the right place to start. Maybe Loctite would have solved the problem to start with.

there was lock tight on the screws. I am wondering if since they could not give at all, that might have been the problem? If I ever find a pistol scope on sale, I might throw the thing back on the Redhawk. But actually, without the scope its easier to carry in my holster in the woods. And since my shooting in the woods is close range, 50 yards and under, I can do that with open sights.

Wow, it was Loctited and still broke. That is strange. I guess the Picture at the top was the position the scope wound up in After the screw broke?

If I recall correctly the base I had for the Smith had at least 2 screws that used the holes for the rear site. I only had it on for one or 2 range sessions but do remember shooting several of my hotter hunting loads and had no problems. I don't remember that base having the clamp but it might have. :think:

Snapped that screw in half. In fact the gunsmith had to use a tap to get the one out.

I was shooting 240 grain standard ammo.

Latest posts

Back