Pronghorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning this goat fell to the 6.5-30 AKA 6.5 BRM. Load was 120g Ballistic Tip, 37.5g H4350. Rifle is EABCO model 97D standard. Spotted them from the county road, and drove on by pretending i didn't see them, but it seemed they were on the move. Parked the truck out of sight, and walked kinda away from them, and then toward to where i guessed they were. Figured they would be long gone before i arrived, but was very careful as i approached. Using my binocular, i searched often as i viewed different horizons. Saw them through the brush, and crept closer. Left the binocular and cap behind, and crawled on my belly closer. They were bedded down, and the buck was facing me. My shot was clear, and steady on the bipod. Guessed the range at 100 yard, and made a good shot. The bunch all ran off but him. Then he got up and tried to walk away on a broken leg, but then just stood. Shot him again, and he fell down. Gathered my gear, but for kicks i ranged the shot. Oops, it was 155 yard. As i walked toward him, he saw me, and looked to me like he was wanting to get up. Set the bipod up, and from prone, shot him after setting the cds dial for 140 yard. He expired.

P1030658.JPG

Congrads Ron, Nice Goat! :applause: :yeah:

I have never had the chance to harvest one. Hows the meat?

ShawnT said:
................Hows the meat?

Excellent!

Our son is what one might call an 'elk hunter'. It seems to me, he didn't get an elk only once, out of the last 20 year. Antelope is his favorite meat. Has been for years. His mother very much liked the pronghorn doe, i brought home last year. She is quite fussy about meat; doesn't really seem to be a meat eater like me. She was excited about this goat i brought her today. Curiously, she believes me, when i say, antelope aren't like deer, which stink, and taste awful whilst in the rut, and/or carry big antlers. It has long been my belief, that nice antelope bucks taste, chew, and smell good on the plate, whereas large antlered deer stink, and branch antlered bulls chew like an old boot.

ronlaughlin said:
ShawnT said:
................Hows the meat?

Excellent!

Our son is what one might call an 'elk hunter'. It seems to me, he didn't get an elk only once, out of the last 20 year. Antelope is his favorite meat. Has been for years. His mother very much liked the pronghorn doe, i brought home last year. She is quite fussy about meat; doesn't really seem to be a meat eater like me. She was excited about this goat i brought her today. Curiously, she believes me, when i say, antelope aren't like deer, which stink, and taste awful whilst in the rut, and/or carry big antlers. It has long been my belief, that nice antelope bucks taste, chew, and smell good on the plate, whereas large antlered deer stink, and branch antlered bulls chew like an old boot.

I thought they might be. I really need to save up and come out there to get me one.

:D

Sounds like you had a great hunt to go a long with that mighty fine goat. CONGRATS :drinkers:

Ray.......... :wink:

Congratulations on a successful hunt. That is a nice antelope.

well that is a nice pronghorn. I had the chance to hunt them while stationed in Montana. If you where 155 yds. you were close. We couldn't get closer than 200 yds. after they heard gunfire.

It is 'easy' to get close. One just glasses, glasses, and glasses, then walk, walk, and walk, and hope to be going in near the right direction, look in the right ravine, and hope to see them before they see you, and crawl through cactus, and somehow not spook them.

ronlaughlin said:
BuckDoeHunter said:
Congrats! Someday I'm headin to SD to hunt those, someday.
Wyoming probably is the better bet.

Couple years ago when a Friend and I was thinking about going to Wyoming to hunt, I called and spoke to the DEC office. The lady that answered said they had more pronghorn antelope than people in the state. I told her that sounded more like heaven. :wink: :D

Dude I so want that rifle. Wanted one for 20 years.

accuracy is everything

Our son believes there is no better meat than pronghorn; he has killed and eaten a jillion elk, deer, pronghorn, and one javelina. So.. i guess you will enjoy eating that goat when you get it.

trigger8mm said:
Dude I so want that rifle. Wanted one for 20 years...

This year, i didn't draw a antelope tag, but did manage to kill a deer with the rifle. It is a sweet shooting/carrying rifle. After shooting muzzle loaders, and Black rifles all summer, when i shot this rifle to verify, the trigger let go, when i touched it. Ruined any chance for a 1" group at 200 yard, but i made no scope adjustment. After 'learning' the trigger, the shot on the deer was perfect, and the blood trail pronounced. The length of the rifle is the same as a bolt rifle with a 19 1/2" barrel, but it has a 24" barrel. The barrel is quite heavy too, with a lot of steel around the 0.264" hole, and yet the total weight of the rifle is the same as a bolt rifle, with a light sporter barrel. The lock time is fast, unlike any other exposed hammer rifle, which, as everyone knows, and mentions, are slow.

Nice pronghorn Ron. I don't see the antelope mentioned however. :wink:
Just a little harmless ribbing. :poke:

Latest posts

Back