Need to change......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
My S&W .40 Shield and I appear not to get along very well. Try as I can, I just can't shoot the pistol, so its time to sell it and buy something else to conceal carry.

What suggestions for something easy to conceal, still a .40 and, has adjustable sights????

Interesting, I went around with a few different carry guns and settled on the Shield but in 9mm. I shot mine as good as my bigger guns. But I get what you mean if it does work for you it doesn't work. Try and find a rental range and shoot all you can get your hands on. I guess I'd suggest a Kahr cm 40. I shot the 9 version quit a bit and it's a great little gun. Good luck on your search.

03mossy said:
Interesting, I went around with a few different carry guns and settled on the Shield but in 9mm. I shot mine as good as my bigger guns. But I get what you mean if it does work for you it doesn't work. Try and find a rental range and shoot all you can get your hands on. I guess I'd suggest a Kahr cm 40. I shot the 9 version quit a bit and it's a great little gun. Good luck on your search.

I was looking that over last night online, along with the Springfield XDS and the Walther's.

I like the Shield and don't mind the .40 but, I just can't seem to shoot it. I sent it back to S&W and they put a lower front sight on it, yet it still shoots over a foot low at 20-25'. It sure could be just me but, after shooting a few rounds last evening, I took out the Buckmark and placed them all in 2" in the center. I'd like to stay with a .40 because of all the ammunition I have, but I guess I can sell that too....

If selling the ammo is an option for you the Springfield XDS is a pretty good choice. Both my father and father in law have them in .45 and there both good shooters. Size wise they are almost identical to the Shield. What amazes me with those little .45's is how well they handle recoil. You'd think a 45 that small wouldn't be fun to shoot but they are. The only thing you loose going from the Shield is the manual safety, which may or may not be a big a big deal to you. As far as Springfield I'm a fan, I have a first year XD9 4" that has been beat and thousands of rounds dumped through it. It's my fourwheeling/beat around the woods gun. It's been submerged and covered in mud countless times and has never once jammed. Good guns.

As far as Walther goes they make a good gun I just can't get over that stupid mag release on the trigger gaurd. And I think they are over priced compared to some other options.

I had the opportunity to handle all three and compare them to each other, although I had to travel to do so..

The Shield still (to me) has the best grip.
For some reason the XDS didn't get my fancy.
I kept picking up the Walther PPS.....

Traveled back to the local guy I like dealing with and had him shoot the Shield. After he shot it he said, "Ain't nothing wrong with that!" Well if I can't have confidence in a firearm, its gone. Had him order the Walther PPS in 9mm and it should be in next week.

Have to be able to trust and be 100% confident in it, especially for the role it may play in defending your life someday. Let us know how you like it.

WOW!

All I can say is there sure is a difference in CC pistols. Picked up the new Walther PPS 9mm today, along with defense ammunition and some FMJ.

It handles great, the slide is exceptionally easy to grip and operate. As expected from reading many reviews, the trigger is a little scratchy, which everyone states that wears in quickly. All in all, I liked it even before I shot it. Now I'll need a holster and thinking about the Comp-Tac.

Tacked up a target and had 5 rounds of Blazer 115gr FMJ in one clip, loaded the other with Sig V-Crown 124gr JHP.

Measured off 25' and shot the Walther:

Nice shooting. Looks like it really likes the V Crown ammo.

Good thing you will never be in a self defense situation that requires 50 yard grouping.

Are you getting more comfortable with it compared to the Shield? How about the mag release?

03mossy said:
Good thing you will never be in a self defense situation that requires 50 yard grouping.

Are you getting more comfortable with it compared to the Shield? How about the mag release?

NOTE: TARGET WAS SHOT USING THE BLAZER AMMUNITION. V-Crown is to expensive to just shoot up playing at 50yds.

Right about 50yd self defense situations........

This was actually only my second time shooting it. I find it much better than the Shield, at least for me. When I had all three laying in front of me, the Shield I thought actually felt the best in my hand. However after shooting this the second time, I'm finding this fits better while shooting than the Shield ever did. I'm quite pleased.......
The mag release isn't an issue and I got used to it quickly. I played with it UNLOADED and found no difference and just as easy. I've read where some shooters use their trigger finger for the release, but for me I found that using my thumb is easiest. I also prefer the 8 round mag, being able to get my 4th finger around it. I see a future order for another.

I'm very happy I made the switch.

Glad to see it worked out well for you. Congrats.

Oddly enough, my son and I both have the XDS and my son in law has the PPS. We all love our own guns and each gun groups pretty similar. As you pointed out, being comfortable and confident with your gun makes a huge difference!

Back