270 Winchester reloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flhtr

Reaction score
Any reloaders out there for this caliber? If so, do you mind sharing your load data?

Howa 1500 in .270 win. 59.5 of h4831. Really small groups.

accuracy is everything

+ 1 on the 59.5 gr of H4831. 130 gr bullet I suppose ?

Brute said:
+ 1 on the 59.5 gr of H4831. 130 gr bullet I suppose ?
Yep. But now trying 140 gr. Haven't fired a shot.yet.

accuracy is everything

Im loading 57 gr. H 4831 with WLR primers and Win brass. Im shooting 150 gr. Ballistic Tips. Shoots well under MOA. Work up to it watching for pressure signs but that 4831 works great!

I settled on 57gr of H4831SC, Nosler 130gr ballistic tips and Winchester brass/primers. Sighting it in with 3 shots I had a clover leaf pattern at 100 yards. I was pretty pleased with the load and my new A-Bolt II rifle and I couldn't wait to hit the woods. The first buck I take with the load and new rifle is a 10 point! I couldn't be more happier with both the load and rifle!

57 gr of H4831SC and a 150 gr partition. Very accurate in several different rifles.

Two different loads out of my Marlin X7. 50 gr. H4350 with Hornady 140 BTSP and 52 gr. H4350 with Barnes 140 BTHP. Both are about .5 MOA after I played with the OAL. Have also tried the same loads with IMR 4350 with similar results. I use the Hornady for trigger time at the range and the Barnes for hunting.

The Ballistic Tips fragment too much. I'm going to try the Accubond's this season as well as the Partitions. It would be really interesting to see Nosler apply a ballistic tip to the Partition! :wink:

As a reloader I like finely tuned loads with quality bullets too. Then again one needs to factor in the intended game and the type of hunting expected. Most any 'big game' bullet should be plenty 'sturdy' for the average FL whitail.

I'm more likely to take a 'soft tissue' shot, when the opportunity is presented. That means I try for just on the back edge of the foreleg, angling forward ideally. I do realize under field conditions one usually makes the best of what's offered. One usually isn't going broke by using the very best bullets available for the few hunting shots either.

Since I've been hunting in IL a lot it's about always the M-L. I do like carrying my 284 Winchester when in MI and WI though. I'll get back to that again before long.

Flhtr said:
The Ballistic Tips fragment too much. I'm going to try the Accubond's this season as well as the Partitions. It would be really interesting to see Nosler apply a ballistic tip to the Partition! :wink:
You thinking about the old Ballistic Tips?

Nosler redesigned them several years ago, and the fragmenting problem seems to be gone.
I had stellar performance in my 257 Wby on a deer at 316 yards last year. I would use them any day.

I agree. The modern Ballistic tip is a very sturdy bullet. They work incredibly well in my rifles on deer sized game!

Yeah they have two BT's now... one for game animals, one for varmints. Agree, the old were not good for deer sized game. I've seen no issues with the re-design. My dad uses them in his .270

IMR 4350 with all bullets in >270, I normally stay slightly under max. powder (1/2 to 1grain) . I stay off the lands slightly. I stick to lyman loading specs

I think I am using 60.0gr of h4831 with a Barnes 130gr ttsx. 3060mv out of a 22" browning a-bolt. Groups under 1.5" at 100 yds. No signs of pressure or case wear. Bolt throw and extraction are perfect. I neck size only using a Forster bushing die. After 7 firings the cases have not needed a trim.

One thing about the ttsx... It is such a tough bullet it is absolutely critical that you place all shots in the vitals. The bullet stays together so well it is almost like shooting an fmj. I have shot 2 Texas whitetails just outside of the vitals and they have both ran over 100 yds. All that I have hit directly in the vitals bang flopped. Very minimal meat damage with this bullet. Obviously a pass through every time on these 100-130 lb deer.

I shot 59 grains of IMR 4831 behind a 130-grain Speer Grand Slam, lit by a CCI-200, for many years. I seated the projectile about .010" off the lands. It shot bug holes. I later went to AA 3100 because it burned cooler, and used one additional grain. That powder is now discontinued, by the way, so when I finally burn up what I have it will be back to th3 4831.

54 grains of IMR 4350 with the rest of the recipe the same shot very well for me, also.

Latest posts

Back