308 win loaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hac

Reaction score
My nephew and niece drew out cow elk tags, I have two 308win one for each of them, shots will be with in 150 yards, planning on hand loading for them, I would like to get a opinion on projectiles and powder combo, I was looking at a hornady 150g sst and CFE 223 powder according to the hornady load book that would be roughly 2700fps, I load other CF rifle and pistol calibers, just not this specific round, I took out various calibers rifles and this was the most comfortable they could shoot both kids being small framed, any advice would be great, I have a buddy that hunts elk with a 308win and has harvested a good amount of them threw the years with never losing one, thanks

The powder should be about fine, something in the 4895, TAC and so forth burn range. I see you mention nephew and niece, so somewhat youth friendly loads. Of course with shots on game, most won't recall any recoil. I generally do some light loads with H-4895 for familiarity, then inch it up some for the final sight-in and practice with hunting loads.

Then you mention cow elk, which may include calves, and top out at 400 lbs or so. The 150 yard range limit sounds reasonable. It's very important with young shooters to talk about shot placement, more than a few times.

I would generally try to go with a 165 grain bullet, but 15 grains isn't all that much. The SST is O.K., with the conditions mentioned, but I may look into a firmer bullet too. The 150 grain TSX from Barnes is an option in 150. The often mentioned 165 grain partition of the common Hornady Interlock is an option. Even the 165 Sierra Gameking should be fine for the conditions mentioned.

The real hay to be made is practice ahead of time, and then proper shot placement with whatever you use. When I took the Son when he was young I went over shot placement up to the morning of the hunt. The 10 pointer(IL) went about 25 yards after the shot.

I'm about to work up loads for my 300WSM for an elk hunt next Fall in CO, my 1st. I've pretty much settled on the 165 TSX but need some range checking along the way.

muskrat30 said:
The powder should be about fine, something in the 4895, TAC and so forth burn range. I see you mention nephew and niece, so somewhat youth friendly loads. Of course with shots on game, most won't recall any recoil. I generally do some light loads with H-4895 for familiarity, then inch it up some for the final sight-in and practice with hunting loads.

Then you mention cow elk, which may include calves, and top out at 400 lbs or so. The 150 yard range limit sounds reasonable. It's very important with young shooters to talk about shot placement, more than a few times.

I would generally try to go with a 165 grain bullet, but 15 grains isn't all that much. The SST is O.K., with the conditions mentioned, but I may look into a firmer bullet too. The 150 grain TSX from Barnes is an option in 150. The often mentioned 165 grain partition of the common Hornady Interlock is an option. Even the 165 Sierra Gameking should be fine for the conditions mentioned.

The real hay to be made is practice ahead of time, and then proper shot placement with whatever you use. When I took the Son when he was young I went over shot placement up to the morning of the hunt. The 10 pointer(IL) went about 25 yards after the shot.

I'm about to work up loads for my 300WSM for an elk hunt next Fall in CO, my 1st. I've pretty much settled on the 165 TSX but need some range checking along the way.

Thank you for the info, and I think I will go with a 160ish grain projectile like you suggested, both kids have taken deer size game out to 150 yards with no issues at all, this is just there very first cow elk tag they have drawn, both kids shoot a 308 with no problem with factory ammo, I think it will be more cost effective for me to load since I have the equipment, I try to shoot every weekend before the hunt so going out and shooting store bought hunting ammo will get expensive, I just never loaded 308 and wanted to hear anyone's advice, thanks again

Latest posts

Back