My 2015-16 winter project done (Pick Heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
Some of you might remember my winter project for 2014-2015 was the Savage Stevens Favorite 22lr that was used by my Uncles and Dad when they were kids, it is posted in another thread. When I took it home it was a pretty big hit with the family. Well one of my Cousins on the other side of the family was at our family gathering and looked that little Favorite over pretty good. He is a Machinist with his own shop and last year made me some Breech plugs and bolt handles for my MK-95's. He knew then that I was looking to get him to make them for me and so he did. When I tried to pay him he grinned and said NO sale BUT..... I want you to look at something for me! :shock: He wanted me to take a look at a Shotgun and Rifle (22lr) that he had. Turned out they were his Grandpa's and his Grandpa had given them to him before he passed. I forgot the model of the 22 but it is a Remington pump. He wanted me to look over the shotgun and then told me he had wanted to get it refinished but had no idea Who to ask till he saw my little Favorite. So he asked me to see what I could do on this shotgun for him in exchange for the machine work. How could I say no to that.

His Grandpa unfortunately stored his guns in Soft cases and well you can see what that can do to a stocks finish. The shotgun was a "well Used" gun with plenty Blue wear, dings, dents and gouges in it. Fortunately is functions perfectly but did have the start of some surface staining in the last maybe 3/4 inch of the bores near the muzzle. That buffed out with a Dremel and a bonnet with buffing compound, a good cleaning followed by some BreakFree Collector for protecting it. The Recoil pad has completely dry, collapsed and plain rotting away. He wanted it replaced and wanted to keep the "Reddish" tone stain. I have always used Walnut stain so that meant a little experimenting in stain. What really took me by surprise was the lack of selection of Red recoil pads there is. The one I finally settled on that would work on this stock was this Grind-to fit from Pachmayr. I bought a couple from a custom place with open vents but they turned out to be way to large and could not be used. :( The other thing that really got me on this one was that the Walnut stock was very open grained and required lots of filling which was sort of new to me. So plenty or learning and experimenting on this project. But that is part of the fun with these Winter Projects.

He has not see it yet but I plan to deliver it when I get back to Ohio in a couple weeks. Hope he likes it.

This is a Ranger 101.6 12gage shotgun, I think they were made by Stevens or Savage.

U66XPHf.jpg

UQt217R.jpg

After.

qjx1hs1.jpg

PeU3VNZ.jpg

Original Forearm finish compared to Newly finished Butt stock for color.

NzM01Wi.jpg

Compared to the Walnut finish on the old Savage Favorite. Yup it is definitely RED! :D

GGG0sod.jpg

Forend Photos. Some of the gouges were fairly deep so they still show even though they are filled.

GynWjG3.jpg

xKckRST.jpg

OJY8zQx.jpg

1Qgu43W.jpg

I had to do a lot of careful work to "Freshen up" the checkering as it was pretty worn down in places. I never learned how to really checker and don't have the tools but used a couple sizes of Riffle files to do it. Maybe that is a future project.

GynWjG3.jpg

btWmmkB.jpg

Found the old front bead was broken on two sides too.
f6PRND6.jpg

zEq8ekI.jpg

Excellent work! He is going to be thrilled.

Thanks Mossy, I sure hope so. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Nice work!

I like that recoil pad, excellent job on custom fitting it, nice match with that beautiful reddish stain :applause: :applause:

He's gonna love it :yeah:

Thanks! I think he will too.

The pad came out much better than I thought. It was only 1" longer that the stock :roll: but about 1/8" on the sides and top. Took lots of sanding and polishing. I have an old LC Smith that was my Grandpa's. I redid that shotgun several years ago and after seeing this stain and pad combo I am thinking I will strip it and use this stain and pad on it too.

Delivered the Shotgun to my Cousin last week in Ohio. I just got back last night. HE Loved it! Was a little worried as he is particular. He loved the Red pad with the Red Stain finish. Kept saying it looked New again and said Awesome several times. :D Whew. On my way out the door he said something about his little Remington pump 22 his Grandpa gave him too. Looks like another winter project already set up. 8)

Latest posts

Back