7MM-08 & Scope Recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7MM08Kid

Reaction score
I am 13 years old and working over the summer to purchase my first rifle. Currently I’m looking at the Ruger All American and Savage Axis in 7mm-08. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also being I want to do this right, I’m thinking I want to get either a 3x9 or 2.5x10 power scope with heavy reticles with possibly an illuminated red dot if not too expensive. I will primarily be using this rifle for deer, pronghorn and possibly Elk.

My Grandfather suggested I join this site and ask away to get others experiences and to find out what others suggests. Being I’m working all summer for all of this, I want to spend my money wisely so I don’t regret my decision later on.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and thoughts.

Braden

I have no experience with that 7mm-08. My understanding is they are like a .308 which is a great caliber. The closest I have to that caliber is a . 7.7mm Japanese cartridge in a model 99 Arisaka. It is a great long range bullet and deer killing machine. As for the scope, either would do real well. I think you will have a great hard hitting long range rifle there. Good luck with your choice. I also have a Ruger M77 in a 7mm mag. While its got some recoil, it is a hard hitting accurate long range rifle. So much so, it took the fun out of deer hunting for me and I went to muzzle loaders.

A 7mm-08 is a great all round cartridge :yeah: I would also look at the Remington 700 ADL. Very nice, no frills rifle.

I'd probably lean towards a Leupold VX-2 if you can swing it ($300ish) in 3-9x40. Good quality scope that will fit your needs.
If that is too much for your budget, you could look at something like a Nikon Pro-staff. They are probably less than half the cost, but a good overall scope...and you could always upgrade later.

Good luck with your new rifle...nothing like your first one, and especially if you had to pay for it yourself :D

I like the Weaver Classic Extremes, Natchez has them heavily discounted. They have a illuminated dot on some. The 2.5x10 would be a good one as would be the 3x9. The 7-08 should serve you well.
When you get a good rifle and caliber they will work for a long time, I have my first centerfire rifle that I got 54 years ago. Still doing what it was built for.

7-08 excellent mild recoiling round, Would serve you well for many,many years. Savage's are accurate, but for my taste uglier than the ruger that will also be accurate. I've always been a Leupold guy, but have heard good things about Vortex. Nice to hear of a young man these days WORKING for something they want. Good luck.

I have a 7mm-08 it's a CVA Apex with the 7mm-08 Bergara Barrel, with a 3x9x40 Vortex DiamondBack Scope. My son got a nice Bull 2 yrs. ago with the 7mm-08 using Nosler Trophy Grade 140 gr. ACCUBONDS, we use the ACCUBONDS in the .243, 6mm, 25-06, 7mm-08 & 30-06. These ACCUBONDS just KICK ASS.

Me, i wouldn't want a heavy reticle for antelope hunting. A feature i wouldn't want to go without whilst antelope hunting, is a engraved CDS dial, which allows one to quickly dial for range. Scope example.

Your caliber choice, in my opinion, is excellent!

Thank you for all of your advice now I know I won't make a bad decision on looking for a scope. My pop pop was right this was a good place to ask for advice.

I want to thank everyone for the information on scopes to look at. I see I got to spend some time at Cabella's looking at all of them.

When I was at Cabelas looking at rifles they said I should look at the Ruger All American or Savage Axis as they felt they were the best as far as accuracy and quality for around $500. The salesman said Remington's are no longer the quality that they were noted for and felt they were using poorer quality finish on their barrels. Don't know if what he was telling us is true but is why I was looking at the Ruger and Savage. Any other suggestions for around $500 would be appreciated.

Thanks Braden

For $500 I'm not afraid to see what used has to offer. One can jump up a rung or two in quality going used. For me that often means a peak at the local Armslist offerings.

Lots of rifles are bought, shot some, then they sit until sold. I bought two minty Sako's $700 each. You could look at Browning with your price limit. The A-Bolts and know an X-Bolt have always treated me well.

If you do a private deal, take your Dad or someone to the meet with you, just to be safe. I do own one Savage, but was never big into them.

Well guys my grandson saved his money and we went to Cabelas this past Saturday. As much as I tried to get my grandson to look at slightly better rifles, he decided he still liked the Ruger All American in 7mm-08. He did though put a very nice Vortex Viper HS 2x10 30mm tube scope on it though. I never saw a Vortex scope before and I must admit I was very impressed with it. As soon as the weather cools off a few degrees we'll take it to the range to see how she shoots.

Re: 7MM-08 & Scope Recommendations

I don't think he will regret that decision. I've heard very few bad things about the American, and I am a die hard vortex fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My grandson also bought three boxes of Remington 140gr bullets to get started . Once he's done with them, he wants to get into reloading for it and wants to try the 140gr Accubond bullets

While just reading this post, I was thinking how great it was for a 13 year old to be asking for suggestions on his 1st rifle! After reading his original post, I thought - I'll offer to send him a scope for free if that would help him buy the gun he wants...
Guess I'm too late in reading the post as he seems set.
I think the 7mm08 is a fantastic round.

edmehlig said:
My grandson also bought three boxes of Remington 140gr bullets to get started . Once he's done with them, he wants to get into reloading for it and wants to try the 140gr Accubond bullets

Even with the little .243 the deer is dead before it hit the ground. You won't go wrong with the ACCUBOND.

Latest posts

Back