CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Whats your favorite semi auto shotgun?

You know, them things that use cartridges? Shotguns, Rifles, and handguns can be discussed here. Reloading topics can also be discussed here.

Moderators: VENISONEATR, jcchartboy, Senior Moderators

zymguy

Whats your favorite semi auto shotgun?

Postby zymguy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I'll be replacing a rem 11-87 because it wont reliably cycle light loads.
What are your favorites ? I mostly grouse hunt so i value light weight, but im not going to spend (much) more than a thousand freakin hard earned dollars.

03mossy

Re: Whats your favorite semi auto shotgun?

Postby 03mossy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:51 am

I've had my Benelli black eagle for about 10 years now. Love it! Never had a single jam and I don't pamper my shotguns either. They are tools that get in the water and mud.
A year ago my brother was finally ready to step up from a pump but couldnt spend Benelli money. He bought himself a Franchi, which is made/owned by Benelli for about half the price. You can honestly not tell the difference between the two except for the name. He is very happy with it also.
T/C Omega .50
White Lightning .50
Knight Mountaineer .45 1-20"
Knight Littlehorn .50
Apparently I have no brand loyalty...anybody got a CVA for sale... :think:

ponsness

Postby ponsness » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:05 am

My 2 sons and I have 3 Rem. model LT20- 1100s. All 3 have wood stocks, 2 are 3" mag. and we have several extra barrels,some fixed chokes and a couple with Rem chokes. The 2 -3" mag. models will cycle with light loads with 2 3/4" chambered barrels flawlessly. These wood stocked guns can be found on the used gun market but are getting harder to find because many youth shooting coaches have found this is a ideal gun for starting the smaller youth shooters because of the guns weight and recoil.

sawtoothscream

LPRe: Whats your favorite semi auto shotgun?

Postby sawtoothscream » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Favorite I own is a rem 1100 20 GA,. Feels great and shoots good for me.

If I was going to buy a new gun I really like the benelli sbe II ,. Used my uncle's during dog training and it felt really good to me, no cycle problems and hammered the birds. Haven't heard him say anything bad about it. His gun before that was a 11_87 he used for everything.

sawtoothscream

Postby sawtoothscream » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:09 pm

On the cheap, my Mossberg 935 shoots pretty good and cycles good. If I could go back in time I would have got the 930 though,. 935 is made for 3" - 3.5"

cayuga
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cayuga » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:20 pm

My favorite is my Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve (nothing light about it). It is well over 60+ years old. It was made in Belgium. It has an ivory front bead sight, and gold leaf plated trigger. Also has all the inlays on the receiver. My father purchased it new and of course passed it down to me. In all the years I shot it, the only time it jammed was when we got some under powered shells. It fired them fine but because of the manual (not gas operated) ejector system it just would not kick them out. Otherwise I can't ever remember it jamming.

I would hate to think of all the game that fell to that shotgun. My father always loves to tell of when he was young and had purchased it, they were very poor. And he'd hunt rabbits and ducks before work to feed the family. He used it to hunt geese and even a lot of deer fell to the thing. My mother (who passed) would not eat any rabbits I would shoot as a kid. She said she just ate too many of them in her life. When I was younger I was a grouse, pheasant, and rabbit hunting terror. And would bring home lots of game. One season I got over 34 pheasants and 18 grouse. All to that Browning.

I no longer hunt with it. Instead I use a Steven's Double Barrel 12 gauge or a Winchester 1300 Ranger 20 gauge pump shotgun. The Browning just rests in the rack and overlooks the other rifles and shotguns.
My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

ChocDog

Postby ChocDog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:13 pm

I love my Winchester SX3 and my Beretta Urik 391.

muskrat30
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby muskrat30 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Mine is a Benelli M2. I have no need for 3.5" shells.
Knight SS Elite 50 cal
Knight Blued Elite 50 cal
2 Knight Blued Elite 45 cals
Knight 50 cal Mountaineer

Cattledog

Postby Cattledog » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:19 am

Have a beretta extrema 2 in 12 guage. Works great. Salt water corrosion has not been an issue either.

zymguy

Postby zymguy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Maybe an over under? I dont think i could ever get used to two triggers , but i probably can learn the saftey . Come to think of it, how many of the suggestions above do NOT have the sapty on the front of the trigger guard ? For me thats a deal breaker :poke:

ENCORE50A
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby ENCORE50A » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:51 pm

zymguy wrote:I'll be replacing a rem 11-87 because it wont reliably cycle light loads.
What are your favorites ? I mostly grouse hunt so i value light weight, but im not going to spend (much) more than a thousand freakin hard earned dollars.

Do you reload? Changing up the powder can certainly make a difference with light loads, if you reload.
WITNESS MARKS ON ALL RAMRODS!!!

Ultimate Firearms .50 BP Xpress Hunter "Idacide"
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Ultimate Firearms .450 Bushmaster "Game Breaker"
Leupold VX6, 3-18x44 CDS, Firedot reticle

zymguy

Postby zymguy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:30 pm

I do reload, 18.5 of titewad is whats not working

ENCORE50A
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby ENCORE50A » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:36 pm

zymguy wrote:I do reload, 18.5 of titewad is whats not working

Its been a long time since I reloaded shotgun but, I searched for a load that although the shot was lighter, produced more pressure for target. For hunting grouse, I went the opposite way, wanting more shot in the cup, with less pressure. It just plain WORKED in the Remington 1100's and 11-87's. During my "hay days" of reloading shotgun shells, especially hunting grouse with a pair of Gordons with 1100's, I preferred Imp. Cylinder for the pattern size, but didn't want the shot to pass around a grouse. Digging through the manual, I found a 1 3/8oz load that would fill the pattern, yet the barrel pressures were no more than a heavy 1 1/8oz target load. (12ga.) I would still use that old Winchester loading manual, that gives that information. Some loads increase the pressures, thus allow the semi's to function.

Check your loading manuals and see if the charge/shot weight gives you approximate barrel pressure. If you don't have that information in your manuals, PM me with a load you want to shoot and I'll check my manual.
WITNESS MARKS ON ALL RAMRODS!!!

Ultimate Firearms .50 BP Xpress Hunter "Idacide"
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Ultimate Firearms .450 Bushmaster "Game Breaker"
Leupold VX6, 3-18x44 CDS, Firedot reticle

Dirtybird552

Postby Dirtybird552 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:25 am

I love my 1100.

Retired1

Postby Retired1 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Out of all the varieties of semi-auto shotguns I have, or had, the Remington 1100 remains my favorite
Terry
NRA Benefactor - Life Member since 1976
Single Action Shooting Society - "Marshal I. Ketchem"

muskrat30
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby muskrat30 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:31 am

10+ years back I bought a Browning 20 ga Gold Fusion on an impulse buy. It has been sitting NIB under my bench, boxed up. I have thought about what to do, but have mostly planning to keep it to give to one of the Sons one year. It has a 26" barrel and is on the lighter side with weight.

I was out elk hunting in CO a few weeks ago, this guy we jokingly labeled 'the hillbilly' came by camp one afternoon. He was a minimalist when it came to hunting. He was shirtless with an upland vest on. He carried a single shot 20 ga with the hammer, H&R or similar. One funny is the hosts of the camp hadn't seen a grouse in this area for over 10 years. He was asking about any grouse sightings.

I did admire his shotgun choice, noting that one doesn't need a $1200 gun to bag a grouse, should you see one. I think going back a few decades, the SS shotgun was commonly used.
Knight SS Elite 50 cal
Knight Blued Elite 50 cal
2 Knight Blued Elite 45 cals
Knight 50 cal Mountaineer

Hac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hac » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:54 pm

I have a thing for semi shotties, I have had a few benelli super black eagle that I gave the kids, I prefer Browning shotguns I have a few gold hunters, a maxus, a new production A5, but my go to is a browning silver hunter, love that weapon

tl511

Postby tl511 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:45 am

Rem 1100

Minixjt

Postby Minixjt » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:42 pm

I have a Browning Gold, and a couple old Auto 5s. I've not handled/shot a new auto 5 so I can't comment. I can tell you though I LOVE the old ones, and have taken many a grouse/pheasant with them. I also like Gold, and if your state has a 3capacity limit (like KY) it would be a coin toss imo between them

tl511

Postby tl511 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Benelli. But I've been really tempted to get a Keltec KSG.

wolfer
Veteran
Veteran
Location: In the woods, on the waters or watching the fields!

Postby wolfer » Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Semi auto - that's pretty specific. I have 2 and love them both.
#1 is Ithaca mag 10 auto with custom Briley screw in chokes.
#2 is Browning Gold 10 ga auto with screw in chokes.
both of these guns kill like lightning and have a "softer" recoil than my BPS or 870 shotguns.

However my favorite shotguns are 2 new to me guns.
#1 is 870 12 ga Special Field. It has the straight stock, short tube magazine and 22" barrel, screw in choke system.
#2 is Browning Pump Shotgun in Special Field configueration. Like the 870 but bottom eject.
both these guns are light, handy and fit me well. Not a drawback but with short tube mag you only get 3 in plus 1 in chamber. both guns were purchased used, BPS still mfg but the 870 in that style is no longer made.
W
extinction is the rule, survival the exception.
apply the rule, be the exception!

MOLON LABE

Idaholewis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Idaholewis » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:09 am

My favorite semi auto was/is the Benneli Super Sport, i have owned 2 of them, very nice guns, but also spendy. The Benneli Cordoba is a Super Sport in Camo
“Only accurate rifles are interesting” Col. Townsend Whelen

QuinnTheEskimo

Postby QuinnTheEskimo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:41 am

I shot a Remington 11/87 for quite a few years, then a Benelli SBE for a few and then a Benelli M2. I'm still shooting the M2 but I've always felt that I shot better with the SBE.
There are those that break or bend; be the other kind.

NRA Endownent Member

.45 Thompson Center Seneca
.45 Thompson Center Black Diamond Super XR
.45 Thompson Center Omega
.50 Traditions Buckstalker
.50 Traditions Pursuit XLT (X3)
.50 Thompson Center Triumph

Leadslinger

Postby Leadslinger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 pm

My old Belgium Browning Auto-5, 12 gauge 3" mag.

Fort Valley Man

Postby Fort Valley Man » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Browning 12 or 20 ga A-5 is my favorite

Return to “Modern Firearms”