CVA Optima Elite .243 Misfiring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall9779

Reaction score
I bought my Optima Elite combo the fall of '08 I sent in for a .243 barrel for it. The first box of Corelokts I put through it I had 4 misfires. My dad made some loads up for me and have had 5 more out of another 15 rounds. 4 of them I was able to get fired the second time. The first firing pin dimple on the ones that misfire looks a little weaker than the ones that fire. I have never had a misfire with the ML barrel.
I will be sending the .243 barrel along with the frame back to CVA for resolution. I Love the gun, but this .243 barrel is driving me nuts.

marshall9779 said:
I bought my Optima Elite combo the fall of '08 I sent in for a .243 barrel for it. The first box of Corelokts I put through it I had 4 misfires....I will be sending the .243 barrel along with the frame back to CVA for resolution. I Love the gun, but this .243 barrel is driving me nuts.

Head space issues?

choc-dog said:
Do you have a hammer spur on the hammer?

Chocdog

I am not positive I know what you mean, but it does have a knurled pin that is screwed in to one side of the hammer for cocking. Do I need to get a second one to put on the other side to even things out. I don't see why that would cause a problem since the ML barrel has had no issues.

CVA's gunsmith shop has had it since 6/30. They said I should have it back in a couple weeks. Their customer service has been good, just wish the turnaround was a little quicker as I can't do any ML shooting until I get it back.

Just got it back last night. There was nothing that came with it indicating what the problem was or what was done to fix it. I have a call into them and they are supposed to get back to me and let me know what the deal was.
I would love to get out this weekend and try it out and make sure it is fixed, but man it is going to be hot. I don't want to wait too long to try it out though in case it still isn't fixed and prolong the process any further. They were pretty quick about getting it back to me, about 4 weeks.

I forgot I had not taken out the packing slip and it had a repair sheet in there. They replaced the hammer spring, and hammer as well as some work on the trigger assembly. I used some spent shells to try it out and it still looks like most of the hammer strikes are yielding firing pin marks that are smaller than others. Guess I can't know for sure if it's fixed until I shoot it though. They did also send a card with a 30% discount code for use on CVA and affiliated websites which is cool.

Seems the new hammer spring fixed the problem. Put 33 rounds throuh her today without a single misfire.

Latest posts

Back