help deciding what caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I both shoot 6.5 Creedmoor’s hers is a Savage Lady Hunter and mine is a Legendary Arms Works Professional Model.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
sawtoothscream said:
ny just made rifles legal, debating on getting one now.

Not sure what i want we just have whitetails and black bear and all shots under 200 yds. probably will go .308 for the ammo being so available
There are probably 200+ cartridges that will kill a deer out to 200 yards efficiently. Anything from a .243 Winchester to a 45-70 willl do the job. Everyone has their favorite cartridge for whatever reason, mine happens to be the .257 Roberts. Nothing wrong with a .308 Win, but personally I like the 7mm-08 a little better.

Yeah, but I like to make sure the same gun will dump the black bears as well, im sure .243 could but a little more thump couldnt hurt if one steps out at 150 yds.

I dont reload and it sounds like .308 and 30-06 will be the easiest to find factory ammo for.

But my rifle experience is non existence and my research is small right now, never thought NY would make them legal.

sawtoothscream said:
QuinnTheEskimo said:
sawtoothscream said:
ny just made rifles legal, debating on getting one now.

Not sure what i want we just have whitetails and black bear and all shots under 200 yds. probably will go .308 for the ammo being so available
There are probably 200+ cartridges that will kill a deer out to 200 yards efficiently. Anything from a .243 Winchester to a 45-70 willl do the job. Everyone has their favorite cartridge for whatever reason, mine happens to be the .257 Roberts. Nothing wrong with a .308 Win, but personally I like the 7mm-08 a little better.

Yeah, but I like to make sure the same gun will dump the black bears as well, im sure .243 could but a little more thump couldnt hurt if one steps out at 150 yds.

I dont reload and it sounds like .308 and 30-06 will be the easiest to find factory ammo for.

But my rifle experience is non existence and my research is small right now, never thought NY would make them legal.

I take it you are in the western counties that only allowed shotgun. Eastern upstate and north have allowed Rifle for longer than i lived in NY.
I hunted up in the Catskills for several years with a .270 and would not have thought twice about shooting Black Bear. In a Short action rifle I would go with a 7-08 or 308, in long action 270, 280, or 30-06. If you don't reload and have to stop as some small little backwoods shop for ammo, 308 and 30-06 are most likely the most common.

ShawnT said:
sawtoothscream said:
QuinnTheEskimo said:

I take it you are in the western counties that only allowed shotgun. Eastern upstate and north have allowed Rifle for longer than i lived in NY.
I hunted up in the Catskills for several years with a .270 and would not have thought twice about shooting Black Bear. In a Short action rifle I would go with a 7-08 or 308, in long action 270, 280, or 30-06. If you don't reload and have to stop as some small little backwoods shop for ammo, 308 and 30-06 are most likely the most common.

I'm in 7s

Latest posts

Back