Snow goose choke?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I got invited to go on my first snow goose hunt. Heres the catch... I leave Friday night! So no time to pattern test any loads with different chokes. I have a first year Benelli Black Eagle with the 5 factory chokes that came with it. Which choke would you all recommend using 3" BB?

That is really hard to say with out as you say, having time to pattern the gun. All I can tell you is, on my Winchester 1300 with the wind chokes, for the tighests pattern I run the full choke. Its so tight that at close range it will blow a hole through a pop can. When I grouse hunt, I still run the modified choke, but they tend to bust close to me in my woods.

Good luck on the snow goose hunt. They are fast and can be a challenge to hit.

Run your improved modified. The full might be a touch tight for BBs.

They are awful hard to choke unless you can catch one sleeping on shore. I would use a shotgun. :D

steel(or moderns) tends to pattern tighter than lead and over choking will produce worse patterns than under. I would go with a modified to start. Especially with no trial on patterning. If your (buddy/guide) has done his scouting for the snow migration you should be right in the thick of it. When you've reached your limit, most usually just sit back and stare at the sheer numbers. With a sound like a winged freight train overhead. I tried making snack sticks out of them this year, and will definitely be doing that again. (look for a temp resistant cheddar) a good snack stick recipie, and some time in the smoker. Im usually not a big fan of most geese for table fare, but I find myself reaching for these snack sticks all the time.

Thanks for the tips. Im pretty excited to go!! He has been asking me to come with for years and everything finally worked out this year to go with.

Have a great time, sounds like fun. Post up the results when you get back.

In general, where about is the hunt taking place? Just East of the 'flyway' for snow geese here in WI, from what I can tell.

He said it was north west of Souix falls a ways??? I don't know the exact town yet. Im excited to say the least. I spent my lunch hour today watching youtube snow goose hunting videos. A little nervous how my pup is going to do, he will be 2 in may. He did good last fall but that was one or two birds around. We both might just sit there awestruck the first part of the hunt. Ill try and take some pics.

GM54-120 said:
They are awful hard to choke unless you can catch one sleeping on shore. I would use a shotgun. :D

I just saw this reply LOL....nice

My son and I use Modified for all our waterfowl hunting regardless of species or load.

GM54- That's hilarious! I seen that one coming!
Mossy- I would use your modified or improved modified. You might also want to look into a after market choke tube. Patternmaster makes a great tube as well as Indian Creek (based on reviews I've read). I do hunt with a Patternmaster so I can say, with experience, that they're really good tubes. Good luck hunting!

Latest posts

Back