Pawn shop find.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
I like to browse pawn shops and thrift stores and such. Being left handed I'm always on the lookout for rifles.
I found this Savage Axis in 30-06. New in the box, never fired. Along with it was an also new Bushnell 4x12x40 AO Custom Scope. I did a trigger job on it. It took all of 5 shots to be sighted in and I killed a deer with it on the first hunt. The shot was 196 yards. No tracking.
It's a budget rifle and scope for sure, I have $300 total in it, but it sure gets the job done. I strive for MOA but am fine with DOA!!

can't ask for more then that out of a rifle... nice find.

Agreed. Manageable recoil, wide variety of ammo choices, availability, fairly reasonable price and will kill anything.

cadillacredd said:
Had to beat an 06. imho

Good score Sax, and to get a deer first hunt must prove its luck.

I got a steal of a deal on a Savage 116 "Classic" in 30-06 last year. Got sick of the exotic expensive calibers. I love the 06 now in that gun. I think its the perfect level of recoil. Easy on the shoulder but still lets you know your shooting a powerful round. Do not tell my wife this next sentence, but it is the only rifle I need for almost everything.

03mossy said:
cadillacredd said:
Had to beat an 06. imho

Good score Sax, and to get a deer first hunt must prove its luck.

I got a steal of a deal on a Savage 116 "Classic" in 30-06 last year. Got sick of the exotic expensive calibers. I love the 06 now in that gun. I think its the perfect level of recoil. Easy on the shoulder but still lets you know your shooting a powerful round. Do not tell my wife this next sentence, but it is the only rifle I need for almost everything.

I won't tell her. Lol!
That's funny. Sweet rifle. I'm a fan of the 06 for sure. Serious medicine.

Latest posts

Back