Took the Favorite to the range today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
We had a nice day for some range time today. It was overcast and was about 54* went I left for the range. Not a lot of wind just a gentle breeze which is fairly rare for living on an Island. I wanted to take out the little Savage Stevens Favorite that I just finished up to sight it in and check it for function after all the action work I had to do. I was pretty pleased with the results. Other than finding that the rear site was loose in the dovetail it functioned perfectly. :D I set a target up at 20 yards to start and was shocked that I hit it about 1 1/4 inch to the left. I will readily admit I am not so good with iron sights any more so Had to really take my time even at 20 yards. :roll: I made only a couple drifts of the read site to get to the little orange circle. Since this is such an old rifle I did not really want to use any high velocity ammo. I had some Remington Subsonic Hps and some Federal target ammo that I thought would be ok. I started with the Remington but only had about 1/2 box. It looked like it like it right off and all cases extracted out perfectly. This is the first target.

I swapped out targets and started shooting again and this is when I found the loose rear site. I did move it some but Was really having fun poking them in one hole. :lol: I have not shot irons in a long time and was a bit surprised at how well it was going sort of forgot to try to get it more centered. :lol: I ran out of the Remington Subsonics and started with the Federals. Those are the 2 lower shots.

I then decided to swap out the target and move it to the 25 yard line and see what happened, This was on the clubs pistol range rifle range had a match on it today. I started off low and left so I drifted the rear site a couple times, plus changed from a 6 o'clock hold to trying to cut the bull in half. It did not like the Federal ammo that well and about every other case did not extract and had to use a small screwdriver to finish popping them out. But I did get it to shoot more centered. I decided not to shoot to many of the Federals since I had problems with extracting them. I later located some of the Remington's but they only let my buy 100 rounds. Seems they are still rationing 22 ammo here. :evil: :roll: But that should hold me for a while as I don't really plan to shoot it a lot, but then again it is a pretty fun little rifle to shoot. Now I can see why Dad and his brothers always fought over who would get to hunt with it, Light and accurate. :D

It looks like you had a lot of fun! That rifle would make meat.

I happen to have a Steven's Provin Favorite but mine is a single shot. I was told my Great Grandfather purchased it for $3.00 from Sears & Robuck. Whether that is true, who knows.

DSCN0852_zpsukvrtmxb.jpg

Does that look like yours? To load mine you unscrew that ring on the bottom down to a certain spot. Then the barrel turns 45ºs and slips out of a series of barrel rings. This allows you to put a .22 caliber shell in the back of the barrel. You then replace the barrel back in the receiver and twist to lock it. Dad always said they had a leather thong and looped that through the ring and then that went over the saddle horn when they rode out to the woods to hunt small game.

I really know very little about the rifle. I have shot it. And I had a target at 20 yards and could hit the bulls eye with it. But it kind of scared me, the rifle being so old and all. So I shot it about five times, cleaned it, and hung it on the wall.

Hey Dave.

Sorry just got back from 2 weeks in Ohio. No mine has a rolling block. Drop the lever and the block falls back and you insert the shells. I used some CCI shot shells to dispatch some pigeons from our barn back in October. I got 11. :D

Here is a link to when I reworked it.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=26280

Back