Single shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsm

Reaction score
Any single shot deer hunters out there,going to hunt with cva apex in 308 for the 1st time this year. If you are what do you have? :?:

That's all I shoot is a single shot. I have a cva scout in 7mm-08. Great little gun for the money...

That is a great round ,I have it in a browning x bolt.Deadly on deer.

I use an H&R 45-70.That sucker will take down anything that may try to run away you or try to eat you.Once I started shooting single shot I realized I never need more than one shot anyway.

I just finished putting together a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter. I used a TC stainless receiver and a MGM stainless barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. I topped it with a Vortex Crossfire II in 3-9x50 scope. I am using Hornady Superformance SST cartridges. So far, I have sighted it in, but have not used it to hunt. It is a nice lightweight rifle that is easy to carry and fits me perfectly.

I got bit by the single shot bug about 15 yrs ago when my oldest wanted to hunt with me and I had to get him a gun, got him a Handi-rifle in .243, when we took it out to sight in we had a blast with it.

I now have them in just about every caliber available, plus my Encore and Contender barrel collection has also grown considerably.

I've always been a one shot kill type of hunter with my stand by bolt action, so it was pretty natural step for me.

Lucked into a nice, lightly used, Rochester production Encore in .270 WCF. Superb rifle and quite accurate. Blued/walnut and I added a Leupold VX1 3x9. Now that we're used to each other, groups of an inch or less at 100 are more common than not.

I started with a handi rifle in .204 river, sent it back and got the .308 bull and .44 mag barrels fitted to it. One shot for me. Then came across a rossie in .243 and got it cheap.

Back