Lightweight grouse gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
For years I have been carrying my 12 gauge auto in the grouse woods i kill my far share of birds but every so often I carry my father in laws beretta silver pigeon 20 gauge. It's about half the weight of my 12 and a dream to carry and after about 10 miles in a day my back doesn't hurt near as bad. So I'm saving my pennies for my own high milage shotgun. Any suggestions or should I save for my own beretta?

most of my shotgun were large heavy 12 gauge that I used for all bird. You want a work out, carry a double barrel all day. Well one year I purchased a Winchester 1300 pump 20 gauge. It came with wind chokes so I can set what kind of pattern I want. And I found that a real joy to carry for grouse. Especially when the dog was still alive. He'd indicate when a bird was close, and I could get set. I have taken a lot of grouse with it. But I still like hunting with my double. And I have an old Browning Lite 12 gauge Auto 5. There is nothing light about that gun. But it is fun to hunt with. I always wonder how my Dad used to kill so many geese, ducks, etc and it will only handle a 2-3/4 shell. And the shell better be powerful or it will not kick them out. I have friends that now duck and goose hunt with big heavy double barrel 10 gauges that shoot a HUGE shell.

I have two lightweight 'grouse' & woodcock type guns. Maybe a few more, but two primary. I'd 1st look to a 20 ga, just more the quintessential upland gun. I also like shorter barrels, regardless of the touted 'swing' of the longer barrels. It's as much for carry it tight cover as it is for a traditional swing.

My longer term favorite is a Citori 'Lightning Feather' with 26" barrels. Another light gun I haven't had as long is a Benelli M2 with a 24" barrel, plus a 1" extended choke, 25" total. Either are a little spendy, but just some ideas if you want to set your sights on something.

Latest posts

Back