Savage 220

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
I just picked up a new savage 220 slug gun, I'm gonna pick up a scope tonight along with a few boxes of shells for it, does anyone have any recommendations for what slugs to shoot? I know to try the Remington accutips but I'd like to try a few different ones to find the best group, what do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Savage 220

My buddy shoots the Hornady SSTs in his 12 & 20ga 220. I guess the bullets look a little like the M-L SST bullets, which seem to get mixed reviews. I think they shoot well. Since I use the M-L usually I only shot one deer with a 12ga SST, went right down.

The usual adage is to try several types of slugs, see what shoots best. Another buddy likes the Federal with the Barnes bullets.

I've always used the 2 3/4" slugs, even with a 3" chamber, not tha it may matter much.

My buddy had a 220 and he spent like 250 dollars trying different ammo...and the accu tips the hornady and federals shot the best..the accu tips were the best of all....we have some guys in our gun club that work at Savage and they say the 220 is finicky about ammo...Savage is about 30 minutes from me and so is S&W....

I have one. Its a great shooting, good trigger, horrible bolt unreliable for second shot slug gun. If you use it single shot, your fine, It just may or may not cycle reliably despite lapping and cycling the bolt hundreds of times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. I really dont use slug guns anymore. I can use muzzy in place for most of slug guns except for a limited few special permit season days.
(despite any learning curve, and or powder/ gun idiosyncrasies, I believe the average muzzleloader is more accurate , reliable, and easier than most slug guns.)

Latest posts

Back