cva hunter 20 ga. slug gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
I bought one of these slug guns about 1 1/2 weeks ago for use during our deer season. the trigger is light and crisp and the gun is very light, I put some fishing weights into the forearm and buttstock in order to get the weight up a little bit. the gun comes with a base mounted for scope rings. I bought a set of weaver quad lock medium rings and mounted an older leopold 3x9-40 scope on it. do any of you have any experience with this gun? If so how did it due in terms of accuracy? I bought 3 boxes of partition gold slugs and 2 boxes of hornady sst, have yet to shoot it, shotgun deer season starts Saturday so I need to sight it in. there are a lot of similarities between this gun and my cva wolf muzzleloader which I purchased at the same time. both of them have the best trigger of any factory hammer gun I have tried.

never knew they made one. I would love to see a picture of one.

im a computer dummy so posting a pic is out but you can google a pic of it, looks just like their hunter 243 etc. just a fatter barrel, made by the same people in spain that make their fine muzzle loaders. the twist on the rifling is 1 in 35 says so on the barrel and the rifling looks identical to my 50 cal wolf. it is too lite of a barrel I think so I put weight in the fore and aftstock. trigger is superb. the store I got it at said they just got them, as if to say they just came out. it is so windy here today that I am hesitant to shoot it.

I am ecstatic over this 249 dollar gun! lol today I went to sight it in and put 4 sst slugs thru the same hole at 40 yds and the retical on the old leupold wouldn't move so I went home and put an old redfield on it, and after adjustments shot touching hole group at 75-80 yds. this was in very windy conditions with a 7x scope setting. It shot hornadys good and partition gold the best, didn't have enough time to shoot the rem accutips as I wanted to go hunting. partitions were 3" and sst hornadys were 2 3/4". I have to say that my new England firearms heavy slug gun in 20 ga. never shot as good as this gun does, not even close.

I have been hunting lately with this gun and have seen quite a few deer at the 150 yard or so mark so I just had to shoot the gun at a farther distance to see exactly what it would do. after a slight adjustment I put my last 2 shots in a 2 1/2" bull at 129 lasered yards with the scope on 7 power and a makeshift rest. I am now confident out to maybe 160 yards on a whitetail. 249 dollars, I still shake my head at that, lol. oh yeah, was using 3 inch 20 ga. partition gold ammo. I found that this gun likes to be held down a little with a finger over the barrel just in front of the scope or it can throw a shot high, before next season I will add a little more weight inside the forestock.

That's good to know about that CVA. Since H&R quit making the Ultra Slug Hunter, it's hard to find a decent slug gun under $500. I will definitely start looking in southern IL to see if anyone carries it. I think it would be a great fun to start my son deer hunting with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when I shoot the gun I clean the barrel after each shot as the sabot or powder leaves a lot of fouling, and I hold the barrel down somewhat when shooting to keep the recoil from making the barrel jump up, do these things and mine will cut bullet holes at 75 yards. before next season I'm gonna put more weight in the forearm. right now I just have some large split shots wrapped in duct tape stuffed in there. the barrel is so polished inside that it is very easy to clean with a wet patch and a couple dry ones. the place I bought mine sold a dozen of these guns in a couple days. If they made one with a heavier barrel and a beafier forearm and maybe camo stocks I would pay 400 for one no problem.

This 20 gauge sounds like a good option for a gun to use out of a stand in shotgun only zones. I have a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel, but that thing is bit unwieldy up in a stand.

It would be nice if Boyd's made a laminate stock/forend that would fit.

This evening I took a small buck with this gun at about 140 yards and it performed flawlessly. Was sitting in a double bull pop up blind watching over a corn stubble field and had 3 very small does come running across the field earlier, then as it got late I saw a deer slipping along the woods to my left, he was walking fast and I barely had time to get the gun out that window rested on the primos bipod and bleated loudly to stop him, it happened so fast, after the shot he ran back towards where hed come from and barely made it out of the field, I heard a crash and he was laying right there inside the woods. 20 gauge partition gold 3 inch ammo with the 260 grain partition hollow point bullet got complete penetration through both lungs and kept on going, I would have liked to have seen that bullet. anyway I'm a computer dummy who has a hard time with posting pics. but he was small anyway. I talked to the shop owner where I bought mine and he said he bought one too but his wouldn't shoot the slugs with a velocity over 1600 fps very good but would shoot shoot the 1550 fps ones great, maybe he wasn't cleaning the barrel every shot like I was, I told him about me putting fishing sinkers in the stocks and he laughed. I have a pic of the deer on my phone if someone wants to post it for me. kip

this evening I took a medium size doe at 122 lasered yards with this gun out of the same stand that I took the buck. Winchester partition gold 3" 20 gauge slug was the ammo, still very happy with the gun.

I wish I had the option to use the muzzleloader during regular shotgun deer season, we can use slugs or buckshot but no muzzleloader in my county. It doesn't make sense because the slug is basically the same projectile at the same velocity. saw a coyote on a deer drive today, we have really got a population of these things now here in Virginia.

Back