CVA Scout V2 .44 REM Magnum Hunting Ammo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recently acquired a CVA Scout V2 (takedown) in .44 mag; it has a 22" barrel. I don't have pics now, but will at a later date.

Anyway, I am trying to decide between two specific rounds for deer hunting with this rifle, and am curious to hear y'all's thought on the topic. I already have a box of each, and am not really interested in any other rounds at this point.

Round 1:
Doubletap Ammo .44 Magnum
Bullet: Barnes 225gr. XPB
Ballistics: 1500fps 7.5"bbl /// 1425fps 5.5"bbl

Round 2:
Underwood Ammo .44 Magnum
Bullet: Hornady 300 gr. XTP
Ballistics: 1300 fps – UNKNOWN barrel length

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions on these two rounds for deer hunting, and which one you would personally prefer.

Maybe I'm missing the question. Shoot them both , hunt with whichever your gun shoots most accurate.

If you can shoot the underwoods without pressure signs I'd go with them just for the heavier bullet and I haven't had the best luck with Barnes bullets myself

I don't have any experience with the 225 grain XPB. However I do shoot the 180 grain out of my 41 mag, and it knocks the snot out of them. The 300 XTP has taken a lot of deer since its creation. Either one is a good round. You can expect 150 to 200 more FPS from the rifle over a pistol in my research. Never tested it though.

Fmfdred56 said:
If you can shoot the underwoods without pressure signs I'd go with them just for the heavier bullet and I haven't had the best luck with Barnes bullets myself

Good advice on looking for signs of damage from the excessive psi. I am curious to hear about your Barnes experiences, if you are willing to share them. Were they muzzleloader or cartridges? What was the caliber? Was it failure to expand, etc.? I am not going to troubleshoot them, I promise. :D I am just trying to consider everything.

Hornet22savage said:
I don't have any experience with the 225 grain XPB. However I do shoot the 180 grain out of my 41 mag, and it knocks the snot out of them. The 300 XTP has taken a lot of deer since its creation. Either one is a good round. You can expect 150 to 200 more FPS from the rifle over a pistol in my research. Never tested it though.

Good to know about the minimal increase, as I was expecting around +300 or so out of the rifle barrel. Is the 180 grain out of your 41 mag a Double Tap product, or is it standard pressure OTC ammo? Is your 41 a pistol or rifle, and do you know the length of the barrel off hand?

Thanks again.

The only bad experience I had with Barnes and the reason I quit using them was I shot a cow elk at 30 yards with a 338/378 weatherby with a 265 grain lrx. At that velocity I should have gotten very good expansion but it didn't expand at all as far as I could tell. Could barely fit my pinky in the holes including the holes in her lungs. What would have been a drt shot with a simple cup and core bullet turned into a tough blood trailing job. I doubt I would have recovered her without snow on the ground.

The 300xtp out of a rifle works great on whitetails, using 44 mag ammo.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter 7.5 inch barrel. Barnes Vortex ammo. Like I said I have no personal experience with velocity difference, but I have done a lot of research and 200 FPS seems normal.

Latest posts

Back