44 magnum rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometimes breechloaders are nice. I'd like to do a minimum of mental gymnastics between my muzzleloaders and breechloader, so I've settled on a 44 magnum rifle. I prefer a single shot, and am thinking about the upcoming Henry. While I do like the Handi Rifle, I don't like the 1-38 twist. The heaviest bullet I will use is the 240 grain. Any heavier and its back to the frontstuffer or go to a 45-70. The Henry will have 1-20, which seems good to me.
Anybody out there shoot a 1-20 44 mag? How's your accuracy? Is it a picky twist?
Those with Henry 44's, how are their barrels? Are they overbored? I know other 44's can run oversize in groove diameters enough to be problematic. Before I plunk down cash, I'd like to have an idea of what to expect.
Thanks!

Wish I had an answer but I too just saw the Henry Single shot. I even emailed them to ask if they had ever considered a rifle in .454 Casull. The answered was no. That single shot sure is a nice looking rifle though. My Brother bought one of the 22LR Golden Boys and it really has a slick action. You might also email them. They answered me very quickly.

I started with a h&r handi rifle 1-38 it shot the 240s xtp just fine , the 300s not so good 4 inch groups at 100. So I got a deal on a ruger 77-44 , 1-20 twist hoping to shoot the 300g xtp. Results not good. Replaced the tupperware stock with a boyds thumb hole varmit laminate. It shot the 240s great, 1 1-2 groups at 100 yds. The 300s still not good about the same as the h&r. Ive put around 900 rounds thru these two guns all hand loads. Just cant seem to find a load for the 300s.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

The .44 magnum rifle is a great walking around brush rifle. My friend owns one and used to hunt with it a lot. But later he went to a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 caliber. For years I hunted with a .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk revolver and took a number of deer with it. But one thing I discovered is the revolver didn't have the knock down with deer you would think. The friend I was talking about told a funny story about hunting with that .44 magnum rifle. He had been hunting hills and valleys in southern Wisconsin. We are talking some steep hills. As I hunted that area for years and always dreaded if a deer died in the bottom of the valley. Anyway, he had walked down from the road from a ridge from where he parked his car, and in the bottom of the valley jumped a nice buck. He said he threw the rifle to his shoulder aimed and shot. The buck flinched kept running and disappeared in the thicket. A minute later he sees the deer now running up the hill towards the road where he parked. He said he took a snap shot and again the deer's body language indicated it was hit. He then tracked the deer and found it dead on the road not 15 yards from his truck. He had hit it both times.

Another person I know and have hunted with was given a Henry Big Boy .44 magnum Special as a Christmas present from his wife. He called me and I brought my Ruger Redhawk over because he wanted to shoot. I got to shoot that Henry Big Boy. It has a 1-38 twist. What an accurate rifle. I was rally impressed with the rifle. The funny thing is, the herd was shot off, and many locals stopped hunting. He never has hunted with that .44 magnum.

Looked up SAAMI specs for various 44 calibers and got confused. The 44-40 has a groove diameter of .426. The 444, .429, the 44 mag in a handgun .429, but in a rifle .431.
I don't get it... The largest diameter jacketed is .430... Kinda crappy for those who dont shoot cast in rifles...

Back