6.5 creedmoor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hac

Reaction score
Hello everyone, any 6.5 cm loaders out there, just got a rifle I ordered 18 months back from a local builder, just want to hear anyone's advice on loads and if anyone has a good source for brass. Thanks everyone

Seems like a nice round with a strong following. Since I have a few 243s and two 7mms I'll likely just stick with what I have supplies for.

There seems to be a good amount of ammo around the web. If brass is hard to find just buy loaded ammo to start out.

I rebarreled a Remington 700 I took in trade to 6.5creed for myself. Boyd's stock, shilen #5 contour barrel at 26" 1in9 twist.

Shooting 37grns of varget with 129grn hornady sst bullets. Can't remember exactly how far from the lands I settled on seating the bullets?

Still need to bed the action and free float the barrel, but it shoots well with that load in my gun.

Lapua brass now available if you want to go that route. 140 eldx are lazers and replaced amax's. 140 vld's are good too. Tough to go wrong with the CM. Check lrh or hide for load data. Lots of good info. You'll like it!

What are you planning on hunting with it in ur trophy rich state :yeah:

I run a bolt and gas in 6.5 since 2007. Still using them.

Carbide8 said:
Lapua brass now available if you want to go that route. 140 eldx are lazers and replaced amax's. 140 vld's are good too. Tough to go wrong with the CM. Check lrh or hide for load data. Lots of good info. You'll like it!

What are you planning on hunting with it in ur trophy rich state :yeah:

I run a bolt and gas in 6.5 since 2007. Still using them.

I just wanted to help the guy out, and talked me into 6.5 cm, I found 300 pieces of hornady brass for $120 at the local gun show,

As for what I will chase with it, If i draw a antelope tag I will use it on that,

Still waiting on bases and rings, and I ordered a vortex viper hslr, that will be my third viper hslr, I like it better than my NXS for some reason

Awesome. Best part about cm is it doesnt break the bank shooting it.
Ive never used the hslr's but have multiple hst's and pst's. What features do you like over the nxs? Good luck on that hunt if you draw.

Carbide8 said:
Awesome. Best part about cm is it doesnt break the bank shooting it.
Ive never used the hslr's but have multiple hst's and pst's. What features do you like over the nxs? Good luck on that hunt if you draw.

I have taken out the NXS and a viper pst and a hslr, I am no expert by any means, I just can flat out shoot with the hslr over the others, I will never get rid of the NXS I paid retail for it cause I had to have it but I would not purchase another, I guess just preference, not nocking the NXS both my son's have shot that weapon better than I could ever shoot it, both have hit 1000 yard targets with it, I build that weapon for my desert big horn sheep hunt it's just to freaking heavy and I haven't been drawn for sheep so it sits in the safe neglected

I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 weatherguard rifle in 6.5 Creed, i love the round, and the rifle shoots really good, my complaint is the composition stock they use, mine wouldn't hold Weatherby's recommended torque. I have been so wrapped up in my Muzzleloaders that i doubt i will even mess with the 6.5 Stock issue this year? I worked up a few different reloads, one of my favorites is the 120 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet and H-4350 powder, I bought a Leupold VX-2 4-12 Scope with CDS system, i sent Leupold my data and had a set of Custom turrets built for the 120 Grain ballistic tip load. I think i will end up going with a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, but probably not this year. The little 6.5 Creed is the little rifle that could, i killed a nice Cow elk last year with mine at just over 300 yards

Idaholewis said:
I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 weatherguard rifle in 6.5 Creed, i love the round, and the rifle shoots really good, my complaint is the composition stock they use, mine wouldn't hold Weatherby's recommended torque. I have been so wrapped up in my Muzzleloaders that i doubt i will even mess with the 6.5 Stock issue this year? I worked up a few different reloads, one of my favorites is the 120 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet and H-4350 powder, I bought a Leupold VX-2 4-12 Scope with CDS system, i sent Leupold my data and had a set of Custom turrets built for the 120 Grain ballistic tip load. I think i will end up going with a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, but probably not this year. The little 6.5 Creed is the little rifle that could, i killed a nice Cow elk last year with mine at just over 300 yards

Could you tell me about the bullet placement on the cow and was the bullet recover thanks

Hac said:
Idaholewis said:

Could you tell me about the bullet placement on the cow and was the bullet recover thanks

The bullet i used when i shot the cow was the new Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets, 129 Grain. I was holding for behind the front shoulder (through the lungs) My shot ended up high and broke her back, she collapsed immediately, i got REALLY lucky that the shot wasn't lower and in the 'Void' (above the lungs, and below the back) I did recover parts and pieces of the bullet, What I would consider VERY poor bullet performance from a bonded bullet, i will never shoot the Accubond LR bullets again, nor would I recommend them. This was a REALLY BIG tank of a Cow, i had put in for a Cow permit and drew it.

Latest posts

Back