Change of plans

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to my local temptation den ( gun shop) the other day. Honestly, I was just looking! Anyway, I had been planning on getting a Henry single shot 44 Magnum, when , at said store, I spotted a very nice Savage 170 B 35 Remington ,for a very reasonable price. I have seen a number of 170's, but all in 30-30. 35's were rumored, but rarely seen. The rifle is in need of a good cleaning, but shows little use. The trigger is creepy, but not awful. Rather 760ish. The stock finish has some wear, but is in good shape and the butt has some very nice figure to it.
The rifle fits me like a glove and i have always had respect for the capabilities of the 35 Remington. Had a couple Marlins, a Remington 14 , 141 and even a 760 so chambered. Easy on the shoulder. Hard on the deer.
Am hopeful this little Savage and me get along. The 30-30 version has a reputation for being a little quirky, but the 35's seem well regarded.
She's on layaway, will let you know how things go after she's home.

We will know in April, after the Game Commissioners meet, what will be allowed. Given the proposals for small game/ varmints, it won't be anything goes.
While tempting, I like finding my brass whether on the range or in the field. Not easy with an autoloader. I used to think an SKS would be a dandy deer rifle. Had a nice Russian. A 51 Tula, sweet shooter...
A pump gun is plenty fast for me. Knock wood, I haven't needed a fast follow up shot in quite a while. Could've used one last year when I missed that 10 with a Lyman GPR. With this little Savage, could've tapped him twice more before he got to cover...

Had to look up the 170, looks like a nice fitting rifle. Although I would hate to give up my 742 Rem carbine semi in .308
A quick check on GB shows a .35 ending tonight over $500, and the 30-30 models going untouched!
Looks like you got a winner.

Latest posts

Back