Picked up my 170B 35 Remington

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Didn't take her to pieces yet, but gave her a going over with some 4/0 steel wool and oil. Got a bunch of gunk off and she has more bluing wear than I thought. That's ok. I like a rifle with honest wear. Once I get her apart, I can get a better idea of how her bore is. Seem ok though. I will strip and oil finish the stocks, to bring out the nice grain. Might even try to convert the pressed checkering to cut.
She cycles very smoothly and is rattle free thanks to the " dampener ". It's. A spring loaded part that puts rearward pressure on the forend. No rattles!
Her trigger is a creepy 5 pounder. Will likely lighten and smooth up with a good cleaning and oiling.
There's a lot to like about this Savage. I don't think it compares badly to 1st gen 760's. Am curious to see how accuracy turns out. Will let you know

Glad it's cleaning up well. I cringe when I hear steel wool though, chuck that for brass wool please!
Looking forward to seeing it progress.

I am not all that familiar with the model rifle you have. Is this produced by Remington, Savage, Marlin, etc? Also is this a pump action or lever gun. I understand Marlin offers or did offer a lever action 35 Remington for a while. And the ballistics are similar to a 30-06 are they not? But just a little more horsepower you could say. Post a picture of it if you will when it is assembled. Love to see one.

She's aSavage pump. This model was made from 1970-81. Mine was made in 78. They came in 30-30 and ( rare) 35 Remington. The 30-30's were known for feeding troubles. Not so the 35's. Barrel lengths were 22 and 18.5 for the carbines. They fed from a 3 round tube. They have a top tang safety, which is a delight. Trigger pull is typical pump. They are well built and have a reputation for excellent accuracy.
Not much collector value, so I will strip and oil finish the stocks as they have some nice grain. Seems like a good solid rifle. Doesn't rattle, which is nice. Is set up for 760 scope mounts, but I might look for a good old steel aperture. Or maybe, a nice Weaver K4...
Not too heavy, swings nice and points like my finger. I'm hopeful I can get good results with cast loads too.

Took her to the range with a box of 200 grain Remingtons and an improvised peep sight. The front sight is a trifle small and there was a lot of glare. Combine that with recent shoulder surgery, and my form/results weren't up to snuff.
50 yard groups were in the inch- inch and a quarter range. 100 yarders were 2 11/16 to 5 inches. Groups overlapped well and no stringing.
Barrel heat and recoil were extremely mild.
My experience with Savages and Core Lokts has been very consistent. Copper EVERYWHERE! Not so with this one. No copper fouling at all. That is very nice.
Cases are the best I've ever seen in a 35. Flush primers and not even a hint of bulge. No tool marks either.
Bought some Leverevolutions, but they won't feed unless the rifle is tipped up. Otherwise, the bullet nose goes into the slot in the barrel hood ( for the shell stop).
Might scope her for accuracy testing. Had the crown touched up a wee bit. Just in case. Her rifling is shallow though. .352 bore and .3585 groove. Dont know if this is typical for Savage 35 caliber barrels.
I do like her. Can't wait to get a good load, and hair in the sights!

That's a darn good report for first firing! I love old school deer rifles. That said, maybe a new fiber optic front sight that is interchangeable with stock screws, along with a ghost ring rear sight?
No copper says speed is good already. Maybe the shallow rifling serves a purpose. Tweak it up a bit if you have to. I'm saying things you already know I'm sure.
An eye candy picture would be nice too, Congrats, and enjoy!

Took her out yesterday with a box of Leverevolutions. Wow!
Recoil was noticeably heavier, but not terribly so. Barrel heat was trivial, but they did leave just the barest trace of copper. Accuracy...
3 rounders at 50 yards went from 3/8 to 5/8's and 100 yarders were 1 1/4 to 2 9/16 ( that one had a called flyer). Leverevolutions continue to be the most accurate factory 35's I've used. Her trigger is a bit problematic. Might have to see about that. Cases are in very fine shape and I hope life will be long once I get my loading gear set up. This little Savage unicorn is really beginning to grow on me. Have seen maybe 3 170's. Ever. But all were 30-30's. This is the only 35 and I just couldn't let it pass. Glad I dididn't did have the crown touched up a wee bit. Have to try the 200 grain Core Lokts again. Love that bullet...

Sounds like it will be a keeper for sure. :D

I have a .358win and my buddy has a 35 Whelen and it blew me away just how good the 35 calibers can shoot.

Been awhile. My 170B 35 is a very fine rifle. She has a quick barrel, velocities exceed what the manuals say a 24 inch tube should get. She has a 22 inch.
Accuracy is absolutely superb. Numerous groups hovering under an inch and a half. LOVES Sierra 200s and the 200 grain FTX. LVR and AA2520 powders being excellent in the 1st Remington.The trigger is unfriendly, but its remarkable what you can get used to.
Reliability is 100% so long as the shell stop screw is kept tight.
Really is a first rate and unfussy rifle. Glad I got her. I have a breechloader that dovetails very nicely with my frontstuffers, in terms of range.
Happy. Happy. Happy...

Back