Shocking. ABSOLUTELY shocking

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back I bought a Savage 170B 35 Remington. Took a chance as this model doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation.
Mine has turned into a pure joy! Little booger SHOOTS! She is, so far, completely unfussy about loads, dumping 3 of everything I've tried to date, into sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards with boring regularity. Warm or cold barrel, her point of impact is rock solid and she does not string vertically or horizontilly. Unless I brain fart or her trigger gets wonky. Honestly, her trigger is the only complaint. Its like a double action revolver...
She eats neck sized cases without issue, and as long as the shell stop screw is kept tight, she is 100% reliable.
I also have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, but I have to say that rifle is bested by this obscure Savage. The Savage will put 3 different 200 grain bullets, driven by 4 different charges of 2 different powders to the same point of impact. This, the Marlin can not do. A multiple load zero is truly a beautiful thing!
My 170B was made in 1978. This is also the first year the 35 Remington was offered. The 170 remains Savage's only center fire pump rifle and the only 35 Remington Savage made. Overall, I must say I am impressed. Excepting the trigger, I also prefer it to the Remington 760 series. The safety is better, the slide doesn't rattle and you don't have to remove the barrel to completely dismount the action. I don't count a removeable magazine, or the use of pointed bullets as any great advantage for my kind of hunting.
I'm looking forward to taking this one for a walk. Bear season will be her first test. I doubt I will be disappointed should something black and hairy come my way. Bear meat is very good...

The 35 calibers are fantastic Bear rifles. I have an old Ruger 77 in .358 win, real skinny barrel, that I have taken a Bear with. I used the 225gn Nosler partition. That is a thumper on both ends. :wink: If really is amazing how accurate those big 35 caliber rifles can be too! Good to here you got a goodun'. :yeah:

Back