Non-ML deer rifles?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 5 deer caliber rifles right now. A Savage.243, a Tikka 7mm-08, a Remington 700 BDL SS .270, a 700 classic.257 Roberts, and a AR-15 6.8spc. I've killed more deer with the 270 than anything, but the Tikka 7mm-08 is my new favorite. I'll be taking it to Wyoming in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main CF deer rifle is a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem, topped with a Leupold. Love it! I've shot a TON of deer with it. Bought it new about 30yrs ago. A couple years ago I bought the same rifle in a .260 Rem. Have not killed any with that one yet...maybe this year :yeah: They are fantastic rifles...light, compact, and accurate. :D

I also have a .243 Ruger 77 Compact, and a Sporterized 7mm Mauser - both which my son use.

My favorite is a Browning A-Bolt 'Micro-Hunter'(20" barrel) in 284 Winchester. I may just use one of my 243s at times too. I started out with the Model 70 in 308. I have a lot to choose from.

Browning A-bolt in 7mm WSM, custom Weatherby style stock with semi-beavertail forend from MPI, and a Leopold 2.5x8. More than I need for deer, but I like the idea of using the same gun for all my non-ml big game hunting in Idaho. Elk and black bear are also on the menu. It loves the 150gr bullets, and really loves the 160gr. Haven't had a chance to try the 140gr.

Have to amend my previous entry. Current using a 1985 production Savage 110E in 243 Winchester. Accurate, polite and absolutely lethal. Wish I'd found this one years ago.
Still love my frontstuffers though...

depends on the day and my mood of what I feel like using
Dad's Springfield 30-06
Winchester 30-30
Remington 700 in 30-06
Remington 700 in .243
or my AR , depends on the mood , but more then once I've chosen my muzzle loader even during regular rifle season I just prefer it

Custom SS heavy 25" Hart Barrel 280 AI on a Rem 700 action with thumbhole stock.
CVA Scout Pistol 357 Max
They both go with me in the stand....

Fmfdred56 said:
just ordered a new one 300 weatherby hush special edition!

I wasn't familiar with that model so I looked it up. That's a fine looking rig! 300 weatherby is am impressive cartridge.

It will be my second 300 weatherby, just couldnt keep myself away from the hush edition.

I haves used a variety of rifles over the years. I am always game to try something new . I have used : Savage 99 in 250-3000 ,Ruger scout rifle LH in 308 ,an SKS in 7,62x39 , a Lee Enfield in .303 British , a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54r, a Rossi m92 carbine in .357 mag , I took my biggest buck so far with that one , and my go to ,old reliable is my Marlin 444 s in .444 , I have taken more deer with that than all the rest combined

My new to me dedicated deer rifle is Ruger no1 B in 243 win. Long shot stands i take it. Otherwise i grab my marlin guide gun or sharps in 45/70

The Ruger No.1 is nice, I also have one in .243, barrel removed and have a 45-70 and a SML .45 for it also.

.243 gone in favor of a very nice VERY accurate 1937 production Savage 99 in .30-30. Love this rifle! Accurate and not at all fussy about what I feed her. Major cool factor too. Only the 2nd M99 .30-30 I've seen.

phoenman said:
My new to me dedicated deer rifle is Ruger no1 B in 243 win. Long shot stands i take it. Otherwise i grab my marlin guide gun or sharps in 45/70

Ruger No. 1 Rifles are one of my all time favorites, They are built like a Tank, and in my opinion a Great looking Rifle :yeah: I always wanted one in Stainless Steel 7Mag
The .243 is an awesome little Deer Rifle, With Premium bullets and Proper Shot placement even Elk and Moose size Game can EASILY be Had with a .243

Idaholewis said:
phoenman said:

Ruger No. 1 Rifles are one of my all time favorites, They are built like a Tank, and in my opinion a Great looking Rifle :yeah: I always wanted one in Stainless Steel 7Mag
The .243 is an awesome little Deer Rifle, With Premium bullets and Proper Shot placement even Elk and Moose size Game can EASILY be Had with a .243
Yessir I load mine with 80gr Barnes TTSX's. It shoots better than I can. I have one in 375 H&H and one in 45/70. Id love to add a 30-06 to the herd one day, not that I really need one. Hope to take my sharps and the little 243 out west next year to chase a mulie or pronghorn. Also looking at some muzzleloader only units. We will see.

Back