Budget rifle recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Decided im going to buy a rifle for next season.

Never owned a rifle bigger then a .22 so idk whats good at a decent price (would like $600 max for the gun only but there is always wiggle room).

Most shots will be under 100 yds but now that rifle is open here the lanes are getting expanded in several areas and some spots are large open fields. So shots at 200+ will be possible.

Deer and black bear are the only animals it will be used for.

Thinking a .308 would be a good choice but again open to others

thanks

.308 win is a proven caliber, easy access to purchase ammo priced reasonable, and almost all manufacturers offer rifles in that caliber.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

There are easily 100 cartridges that will kill a deer/bear out to 200 yards and the .308 is certainly one of them. Ammo is reasonable and readily available as well. Savage and Ruger both have budget rifles that are accurate. Personally I prefer wood stocked rifles and I’d rather buy a used Ruger 77 than a new Ruger American, I think you get more rifle for your money.

yeah, thinking used market as well, need to find a place to ship to around here first.

My uncle bought a rugar american 308 for his daughter this year, they seem to like it. weatherby vangaurd seems like a decent choice as well for new.

sawtoothscream said:
yeah, thinking used market as well, need to find a place to ship to around here first.

My uncle bought a rugar american 308 for his daughter this year, they seem to like it. weatherby vangaurd seems like a decent choice as well for new.
There’s no shortage of inexpensive rifles that will shoot. They aren’t likely to become family heirlooms.

I saw a Ruger for sale on black Friday with a scope for around $325 either at Sportmans Guide or Dunhams. They shoot well as does some of the lower priced Savage rifles. It seems like all the majors have rifles under what you are asking. A good used one could be found also.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
sawtoothscream said:

There’s no shortage of inexpensive rifles that will shoot. They aren’t likely to become family heirlooms.

DOnt think I own any guns that will lol. If they shoot well and have a nice trigger im not too picky

My vote is the Weatherby Vanguard S2 (Good, adjustable factory trigger) Or a Remington Model 700, the Weatherby Vanguard S2 is a HELL of a rifle for the money! Caliber wise i say a .308 Win or a 7MM-08, Both are easy to get ammo for if you don’t reload, the .308 having an edge. They are both VERY capable long range rifles, and VERY adequate for deer, Even Elk with a good bullet. I own both of these Calibers, my 7MM-08 is the Weatherby Vanguard S2, and the .308 is a Remington model 700 SPS Varmint, Both of my rifles shoot sub MOA with a few different loads a piece. I reload, so i can taylor loads per rifle. Both calibers are pretty darn hard to beat, From mice to moose! The 7MM-08 is a necked down .308, they are the exact same Case. I enjoy both rifles. The Weatherby Vanguard S2 is Gauranteed to shoot Sub MOA with premium ammo, Many good factory rifles these days! And most carry an MOA Gaurantee. The Weatherby Vanguard S2 just feels better to me, solid quality feeling rifle. I bought the Remington 700 .308 mainly due to being able to fully customize it, the Rem 700 is the most customizable rifle on the market, About every Co. that builds stocks, parts, etc. Makes after market products for the Remington 700, Not the case with most other brands.

Ill have to look at them all in person. Getting several opinions but the vanguard, tikka and savage seem to get the most right now on another site I posted on. Watching youtube videos they all are very capable for my needs.

sawtoothscream said:
Ill have to look at them all in person. Getting several opinions but the vanguard, tikka and savage seem to get the most right now on another site I posted on. Watching youtube videos they all are very capable for my needs.

Tikka’s are GREAT rifles! I’ve owned a bunch of them over the years, every one i owned shot REALLY good. One thing I didn’t like was the Stainless, i am a HUGE fan of Stainless Steel, but not all Stainless is created equal! Tikka was horrible for staining, after getting them wet they would stain? Stainless Remington 700s have never done that with me. One needs to remember that Stainless will rust if not cared for properly, it is called Stainless for a reason, it Stains Less, but most definitely will stain if not properly cared for! I have always taken good care of my guns, but no matter how much i tried to prevent staining on the Tikka’s they stil did it? That was years ago when they first hit the market, and a few years after, they might be better now? Lots of good options out there now days!

Idaholewis said:
sawtoothscream said:

Tikka’s are GREAT rifles! I’ve owned a bunch of them over the years, every one i owned shot REALLY good. One thing I didn’t like was the Stainless, i am a HUGE fan of Stainless Steel, but not all Stainless is created equal! Tikka was horrible for staining, after getting them wet they would stain? Stainless Remington 700s have never done that with me. One needs to remember that Stainless will rust if not cared for properly, it is called Stainless for a reason, it Stains Less, but most definitely will stain if not properly cared for! I have always taken good care of my guns, but no matter how much i tried to prevent staining on the Tikka’s they stil did it? That was years ago when they first hit the market, and a few years after, they might be better now? Lots of good options out there now days!

Too many and too many calibers lol. Pretty positive on 308 but 7mm-08 and 270 keep getting bought up as well.

There are many cartridges that would serve what you want. In that situation it might be good to get one of the standard calibers in that cartridges are readily available should you lose/forget yours. Pricing may be better also.

Think im going to grab the savage fcp-sr .308 Seems like a nice gun for the range and my hunting needs.

Scope wise IDK seems like leupold, vortex pop up the most. Really do like my ultimate slam

Right now im thinking the leupold VX-R 4-12x40 my uncle has one on his 300winmag and it looks pretty nice

sawtoothscream said:
Think im going to grab the savage fcp-sr .308 Seems like a nice gun for the range and my hunting needs.

Scope wise IDK seems like leupold, vortex pop up the most. Really do like my ultimate slam

Right now im thinking the leupold VX-R 4-12x40 my uncle has one on his 300winmag and it looks pretty nice

You can’t go wrong with a Leupold scope in my opinion

I agree...you simply cannot go wrong with Leupold. I have a few Leupolds and love them all, never a single issue.

Anyone have experience with the vx3? Don't really think I need the firedot on the vx-r so sounds like I could save a little cash with the vx3 and get a little better glass.

I echo the idea if a 308, or something common near that. Nothing wrong with slightly used, much if the older guns(well cared for) are of a better quality that new stuff today. My favorite time to buy used is right after Christmas. I just bought a gun off Armslist the other day.

I hunt deer often right up to the last legal minute, so I have a feel for scopes in low light. Since one has to identify the game and maybe even check it out some(antlers) I've not felt the need for lighted reticles. Of course light available at quitting time will vary with cloud cover and the environment. It gets darker sooner in a thick evergreen swamp, compared to a snow covered field.

One possible exception is bear hunting over a bait pile. We have had guys have a hard time seeing crosshairs against black fur in the last moments of hunting. One can usually walk the crosshairs on from the dim light above or off fur, but it still can be an issue.

I'm not sure what the latest high end Leupould designation is, buy a VX-3 type in say 2.5-8 power should be excellent. I often use a Zeiss Conquest type scope, never felt hindered sighting up to the last minute. There have been a few high profile hunting/shooting accidents this Fall, often right near(or after) the last minutes. When one can't see well enough it's time to go in for that bowl of chili.

For that price you can find a good used Remington 700. I’m not really a fan of the new 700’s. IMO not even the same gun as the old ones. If I was going to buy new I would look into a savage model 10 or 12. Not the savage axis not the same actions! But I would agree with the 308

Well ended up with the Savage fcp-sr in .308. 10% off in store, 10% rebate with Savage +$20 off for a small blemish in dip.

Also went with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold vx3i cds.

Still waiting on my rings and cleaning supplies to arrive so no idea how it shoots. Accu trigger will take some getting used to.

Back