First deer with Max.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
This my first handgun deer. Spike. About 60 yards.
CVA Scout 357 Max. (re-chambered by David White)
Load - 22gr - W296, 180gr XTP, Rem 7 1/2 primer., Rem Max brass

Attachments

• cva.jpg
    cva.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 160
Congrads. That is an interesting cartridge, never actually seen one in person or a weapon so chambered.

CONGRATS on the deer!! The .357 Maxi is a serious BAD DUDE!! I had one in and old (actually brand new) Seville revolver made by United Sporting Arms. I actually sold that revolver back to the Man that built it, or his Son. The .357 Max was designed to knock silhouette Rams over at certain distances, I can’t remember the exact details now? More power than the 357 Magnum was wanted and that is how the Maxi Came about, the Maxi is a streeeeeeetched out 357 Magnum. Ruger chambered it in their Blackhawk for awhile but problems were reported about the Maxi flame cutting the Top strap and Ruger ceased production, After some trial it was found that the flame cutting was only going a tiny bit then it stopped, but bad press had already gotten out about it being a ‘Top Strap Cutter’ and the .357 Max was doomed in Revolvers.

Thanks. Yeah, its a bad mammajamma!!!! :) Its easy to load for, super accurate, mild recoil, hits like a ton of bricks!!!!!! I started wanting a "short range woods" deer gun. The club I was in at the time had alot of thick pines, briars, and real thick undergrowth. I already had a custom heavy barrel Rem 700 280 AI, so I started looking at pistols, specifiable single shots. I saw the 357 Max page on Mike Bellm's site and the rest is history!!!! :) I found a CVA Scout in 357 Mag and had David White re-chamber it to the Max. (Well spent $75 :D )

Back