Entries for Muzzleloading Doe 2006..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

big6x6

Reaction score
Post your entry for Muzzleloading Doe 2006 here. Thanks!

I figure I aint got a chance after last year which was my best Big Doe bagged in 42 years of huntin! Way toooooo much competition! It was certainly honorable to achieve 2nd Place for sure!

:) Very best of luck to all applicants this year!

Winner HERE gets bullets as supplied by Parker Productions sabots from the folks a MMP!

I saw a VERY nice Doe hanging in our camp ... I think it was 160lbs or more... Wonder who shot it :think:

Flintlock doe

flint-doe001.jpg

Took this doe with my .50 cal. flintlock (made by my own hand) using a patched round ball with 70 gr. of FFg Goex.

She dressed 110 lb. and is mighty tasty.[/img]

This is my doe that was taken in Kentucky October 22. I shot her with my Savage 10mlII at 103 yards. She weighed 160lbs!!! The full story is in the Success Story section.

KY%20hunt2006%20027.jpg

KY%20hunt2006%20030.jpg

Good 'un.

Nice doe!! The doe that I got in KY was full of corn, and so far she's been mighty tasty!!

1 TC Encore 'Old (non pro) Hunter' 3 shots & 3 dead does, but no pictures. What was I thinkin! Hmm I still have the heads on garage floor, but nobody would probably like that picture.

My big Doe

Here's my doe that I shot on Saturday here in MO using a Traditions Lightning bolt action with 2 (50 grain Pyro Pellets) and a 250 grain Shockwave Bonded bullet with the supplied sabots. Shot was 70 yards where she fell 50 feet from there.
Here is the full story,

Hey guys. I had an exciting second weekend in Missouri's rifle season in which I killed a big doe with my muzzleloader. It was saturday about 10 minutes before legal shooting time ended and it was getting dark in the woods. I spotted a big blur in the woods about 70 yards and guessed where it had stopped. So I raised my gun and looked through the new scope ( Redhead 3X9X40) I got on vacation this year and low and behold it was like looking at daylight. The scope really brought out the remaining light and as a bonus the crosshairs where on a mature doe which was broadside. I hit the safety and Boom! Flames and smoke. I seen her walk off and hear a fall. I went and got Dad and was so excited I could not speak as that is just so awesome. He got down and we tracked where I thought she had went. I had him all over the place where I thought she had gone. We looked around and we both saw a big white belly beside the roadbed, it was her. She actually went opposite where I thought she had gone. There was a massive blood trail where she was and we saw where she had stumbled. She was 50 feet from where she was shot. Dad and I were out of breath from dragging her to camp. I had hung up a new deer hanging contraption ( 2X4's nailed to a tree in the photo) and we initiated the boards. It took three of us, my dad, uncle and me to get her up. You see I put the upper board a little lower than I thought and the deer would hit her head when my uncle had tied her up. It was like the three stooges and pretty damn funny. We got her up and examined the bullet hole, which was a complete pass through the front. The next morning we fried up the tenderloins in homemade gravy and added cannopolies. That was some good breakfast. We hunted some more and then deceided to process her. We got 30 lbs of meat and it would have been more if I did not lose the front quarters on her. You can see the bullet hole in the photo. I was using the Shockwave 250 grain Bonded bullet with the supplied sabot using 2(50 grain) Pyro Pellets. As we processed her the next day, the front quarters were found to be all bloodshot from the impact she had taken from the shock. We could not salvage them for roasts or anything else. The gun I use is a Traditions Lightning Bolt 50 caliber with a fluted barrel. I had a modified load carrier as you can see on the stock that holds three extra loads. All it is, is a 12 guage slip-on carrier. You first put it on the stock, then you have to stretch the areas where you want to fit your load carrier enough so that you can fit the tubes. Do not pull too hard or they will tear. This saturday is the official start of muzzleloader season that goes until December 3. We have seen big bucks around where we hunt and there was little hunting pressure on the 5 acres we hunt. That's right 5 acres. The property had a ditch that runs along the property line in which it slopes up on both sides. The three of us always shoot down into the ditch as the deer will walk in the ditch for security before going in the adjoining fields. You don't need hundreds of acres to get deer every year. My dad and uncle lost count on how many deer they killed here throught the years and it looks to be that way for a long time. Thanks dad for taking me hunting. Good luck to all those still out there freezing waiting for the big one.

Gun.jpg

Bullet_hole.jpg

Big_Doe.jpg

Here's my first. I shot her opening day with a 250 grain shockwave bullet, and 120 grains of GOEX FFG. Gun was a T/C Encore. The story is in the muzzleloading success thread.
deer06003.jpg

Hey I've been meaning to ask you where did you get this hat? Is it warm? It sure looks warm!!! :lol:

KY20hunt200620030.jpg

Story of a warm hat..

The hat is made by Mossy Oak. It's reversible camo/orange. I actually don't know where I got it. Here's why: When I got to Kentucky this year, I realized that I didn't have my hat. So Michelle, one of the owners of the lodge, went and got it somewhere there in Kentucky!!
But, yes, it was VERY warm. Because you know I get cold!

Hi gang. Just now getting back from hunting. Been to Boise Blanc Island, out in the middle of Lake Huron. Got a big doe on Nov 16th evening. I spotted her at about 400 yds, cut down through the brush closing the gap to 235 yds. I was able to get a good solid rest over a log, shot, and hit just a little low. Finished her off with a shot to the neck. What makes this special to me, is this is the second deer I got with my new, handmade, smokeless muzzleloader. I started making this gun in April of this year with a block of steel and a slab of wood. The only thing I bought was a Douglas 50 caliber barrell, a Sims recoil pad, aluminum power rod, and the scope. Everything else my brother and I made. I finished the gun and blued it on 11/9, mounted the scope that night, sighted it in on 11/10 and shot the girl on the 16th!!! My load was 42/SR4759 REM/.458 300 hp/mmp orange Win 209 primer. Below is a pix of her sans head which the DNR has for testing. The metal rule is 5' long. DNR said that she should about 180 lbs live. And my gun.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e387/lindacw/IMG_1759.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e387/lindacw/IMG_1744.jpg[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back