.40 Caliber bullets source

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
What manufacturer or retailer does one suggest where .40 caliber bullets can be purchased? I have heard Barnes and Hawk, I can check in my Gun Digest but any other recommendations. Thanks

Also the recommended weights, types thought to be best for deer.

jims,

Are you looking for bore-size bullets, or do you want to shoot them with sabots?

jim

I am talking bore size bullets as I have no source for sabots with a .40. If I did that would be a good bore size for .358 bullets or perhaps a .338.

HunterJim said:
http://bpbullets.com/index.html

has .357 and .40 bullets and sabots.

I have tried both in .50s with good accuracy...jim
The 195 DC(357) is extremely accurate in both my 22 and 28 twist smokeless MLers with a duplex load that produces 2300'/sec. I've repeatedly read that the lead bullets are limited to 2,000'/sec but 2300 has been very satisfactory for me. They are the most accurate load combination I have - 1/2 MOA with almost no recoil.

jims said:
What manufacturer or retailer does one suggest where .40 caliber bullets can be purchased? I have heard Barnes and Hawk, I can check in my Gun Digest but any other recommendations. Thanks

Also the recommended weights, types thought to be best for deer.

Besides the two you mention Hornady makes a 200 grain XTP that should be great for low cost shooting (lot's of lead down range) and plinking.

I haven't posted here in a while, sorry, but I'll be back at it when I can get a few business and health concerns behind me.

I also have the 40 caliber barrel mounted and ready to go. All I have to do now is slip on a scope and get to the range. I hope to have some 200 grain bullet results soon possibly by this weekend.

I hope your health problems are not to severe Rick. I do enjoy your posts and the wealth of knowledge you are so willing to share with us.

Keep us posted on the "40 project".

God Bless, Jack

Rick,
Remember that your health is more important than guns, especially mine. Good luck on the 40 - I'll bet it does well.

Glad to see you back. Hope everything works out well.

Back