Barnes bullets-reduced to size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
If one reduced the size of the .375 Barnes TSX bullet on a lathe to .367 or as needed could it be shot accurately out of a .375 smokeless, muzzleloading barrel without sabots? I have access to my father in law's lathe and I would not have to do more than 50 at a time.
I ask this as the bullets seem to be all copper/brass so it would not be like one was breaking thru a thin jacketed bullet into the lead core.
Thoughts and comments are always welcomed here as my goal still remains to shoot a subcaliber sabotless muzzleloader. This seems like it may be more feasible than making my own sabots for the .38 caliber barrel to shoot .338's.

The first S.M.I.,s were shot with 4198 and .50 375 grain maxi balls. Some guns liked different molds that we cast with some over size and some under size. The problem with the sabotless that as you walked around hunting some of the bullets would walk up the barrle and then you wouldnt have a good seat. With tight lead bullets this would not happen as easy.I can not imagine trying to load an all copper bullet that is slightly oversized. I think an .375 sabotless would have around the same performance as a .375 straitwall cartridge but a .375 bullet comin out of a .45 or.50 with a sabot should be a performing round.

A lead bullet will expand slightly when the gun fires to engage the rifling on a muzzel loader. A copper bullet that is a slip fit would shoot out without expanding giving no accuracy. If you have access to a lathe turn some lead bullets with the softest alloy you can.

jims said:
If one reduced the size of the .375 Barnes TSX bullet on a lathe to .367 or as needed could it be shot accurately out of a .375 smokeless, muzzleloading barrel without sabots? I have access to my father in law's lathe and I would not have to do more than 50 at a time.
I ask this as the bullets seem to be all copper/brass so it would not be like one was breaking thru a thin jacketed bullet into the lead core.
Thoughts and comments are always welcomed here as my goal still remains to shoot a subcaliber sabotless muzzleloader. This seems like it may be more feasible than making my own sabots for the .38 caliber barrel to shoot .338's.

I'm not sure what will happen and I don't think there are very many people who do. However I'm trying to get results as time and circumstances allow.

At this time it is certain the 45 caliber bullets will shoot in the correct sized bore and I believe the 40 caliber bullets will as well but it will take some time with a test platform to be sure. If the caliber can be lowered to 375 or 358 is something that will take time.

bsn said:
A lead bullet will expand slightly when the gun fires to engage the rifling on a muzzel loader. A copper bullet that is a slip fit would shoot out without expanding giving no accuracy. If you have access to a lathe turn some lead bullets with the softest alloy you can.

I'd like to ask you a question: have you ever tried it, or are you simply stating a commonly held myth?

I admit I didn't know it would work until I shot it myself but since I have I don't think I'll have quite as much faith in what I hear until I actually take the time to find out for myself.

The bullets I've shot so far are jacketed so I must admit solid copper bullets are still a mystery. But no-one thought jacketed bullets would work either.

bsn said:
We used the hardest lead that we could find usually wheel wieghts .

RB,

Ty from Barnes told me it takes 40,000 psi to cause their monolithic copper cullets to "bump up" and seal a bore. He and I were having a discussion of what one could do to use their bullets in slip-fit fashion. He is sending me some to try, so we will see. I want to work with .50 cal bores.

jim

HunterJim said:
RB,

Ty from Barnes told me it takes 40,000 psi to cause their monolithic copper cullets to "bump up" and seal a bore. He and I were having a discussion of what one could do to use their bullets in slip-fit fashion. He is sending me some to try, so we will see. I want to work with .50 cal bores.

jim

Jim that sounds great I want to get some results same as you but for some reason CH has yet to come throughon the bullet sizing dies.

Back