More on 40 caliber shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBinAR

Reaction score
I got some more shooting time with the 40 caliber rifle today and things are moving along nicely. I had started with loads that were on the sedate side and since I could trust all the mechanical aspects of the rifle I decided to move up to the speed commonly sought for this type of shooting.

To that end I submit two images. The one appearing directly below this paragraph is a maximum charge of H-4198. As it turns out that amount is 45 grains of powder. All the components are the standard I will be dealing from start to finish: 200 grain Shockwave bullet, CCIm primer, and a 1/8? thick fiber wad. The three shot timed at 2334fps average. The group size is a bit more than 1 1/8?.
45grh4198-copy.jpg

The next image will be a target shot with 62 grains of Benchmark loaded under the standard component set. With 17 grains extra powder you might expect the bullet will be moving a bit faster and you?d be right. The timer average sizzled to 2687fps. The three shots group to just less than 1 ??.
62grbenchm-copy.jpg

I would have to state the shooting conditions were good but not great with considerable wind and some mist but those were not major considerations. What is a consideration is my shooting. I feel there is no doubt that both of these groups are larger than the rifles potential because I was using a rest with only average steadiness. With a really good rest as much as ?? could be taken off either load. Still it is my practice (and will remain) to shoot without the assist of a mechanical rest. Doing this I can usually count on the rifle?s owner getting as good or better results as I do.

Some comment need said on the speed of shooting. I don?t have the proper size fiber wads so I punch some from 50 caliber disks. I also knurl the bullet for a better barrel fit. Even though I do both these step between shots I still got in a full shooting session in about half the time I normally spend with a 10ML because there is no barrel cooling time required.

Shooters should know that even though the recoil is greatly reduced from what you?re likely to have in a 50 caliber barrel that when the speed goes over 2600fps you need to have a good hold on the rifle. It couldn?t be described as serious recoil but it?s no BB gun either.

The load, pressure, and bullet speed will certainly be predictable along the path of how much powder is burned at the same pressure. H-4198 has a maximum load level of 45 grains and is good for just below 2400fps. H322 has a maximum load level of 54 grains and will shoot to about 2500fps. Benchmark has a maximum load level of 62 grains and shoots to about 2675fps.

The above could be carried on to other powders as well. A powder like H-4895 or Reloader 12 could reach a maximum charge of about 66 grains and shoot about 2750fps. The process could continue up to powder levels of 75 grains or so but by then the recoil is about equal to a 338 Winchester magnum.
[/img]

RB You make this stuff look way too easy, barely shot the gun and nearly have it shooting MOA already. I bet Steve can't wait to get his hands on this one, can't wait to hear how it does at 2-300, great job. Are you doing any barrel break-in procedure similar to a CF rifle since you are not using sabots?

DW said:
RB You make this stuff look way too easy, barely shot the gun and nearly have it shooting MOA already. I bet Steve can't wait to get his hands on this one, can't wait to hear how it does at 2-300, great job. Are you doing any barrel break-in procedure similar to a CF rifle since you are not using sabots?

The only thing I'm doing to the barrel is making sure it's clean before I start a series of shots.

I fired 1 shot this range session that's not shown on the target. The first range session I fired two shots to insure paper contact at 100 yards 8 shots through the timer and onto target and 4 extra timer shots. So far that means this barrel has shot 14 plus 7 or 21 shots in its' entire lifetime. In that time I've gotten 2 three shot groups less than 1 1/4" and one five shot group less than 1 3/4". That's shooting three different loads. So I'd say it's the rifle's fault and none my own, it shoots about anything I put in it.

details

RB

can you give me some details again on the setup action, barrel, and such!

thanks

Re: details

wildworks said:
RB

can you give me some details again on the setup action, barrel, and such!

thanks

The rifle belongs to Steve White and when I'm finished testing he will be shooting it for himself.

I have to thank Steve for the idea. He saw that Pac-Nor listed several 40 caliber barrels in their regular package and felt it could be possible to get one the same land diameter as a 40 caliber bullet. The next day I was on the phone to Casey and sure enough he sent me one of their barrels designed for the 40-65 and now it's on a rifle.

The package is a 25" barrel on a standard 10ML frame with accu-trigger. The stock is a factory sythetic. I use my own breech plug with pressed in vent that has been built from a 5/8 X 18tpi alloy steel bolt. The plug is 1 1/2" long.

I will post an image when time allows.

The stock: RB has my Kevin Rayhill re-worked Laminated stock/action to put a 45 PacNor on. It is excellent BUT, I've gotten equal accuracy from well bedded/3rd pillared Sav stocks. I plan for this rifle to be a dedicated hunting rifle - both varmint and beanfield rifle complete with 2 Benelli recoil reducers/Simms pad. I will likely have a SSS muzzle brake, a 2.5X10 4200(here awaiting the rifle), and likely a Mossy Oak camo job. I hope the gun will be adequate for 300+ yds(will try 200SST,235 Hawk,175 and 195 Barnes). Concerning the max of 10X, if a fellow Arkansan who crawled/laid in a muddy field for 4 100+ degree days can shoot a NVA general @ 800yds with an 8 power scope surely a 10 power scope will be adequate for a whitetail deer at max range.

40 caliber

Will .40 caliber/10mm light pistol bullets be able to be shot sabotless out of your new .40? I am not saying they would be a deer bullet I am just wondering if they would fit and have any applications at all.

Re: 40 caliber

jims said:
Will .40 caliber/10mm light pistol bullets be able to be shot sabotless out of your new .40? I am not saying they would be a deer bullet I am just wondering if they would fit and have any applications at all.
I used to shoot 55 BSTs, hand loaded HOT!!, out of my 243. No, of course the trajectory wasn't all that great, a 70 NBT was better, but the terminal performance on Coyotes, 'possums, crows, was absolutely outstanding, especially at 50 yds. Gave "red mist" a new meaning. Possibly they could be used in this manner, I'll go check my blue dot inventory or VV-105.

Back