Thompson Center Triumph

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
A number of shooters have converted the Ruger No 1 to smokeless. The new TC Triumph looks like it could have some potential smokeless. The difficulty I see it rewelding the "hinged recoil lug" to a smokeless barrel so that it would function in the action. Is this too big a hurdle and would a new breech plug be an issue? Your comments are always appreciated.

jims said:
A number of shooters have converted the Ruger No 1 to smokeless. The new TC Triumph looks like it could have some potential smokeless. The difficulty I see it rewelding the "hinged recoil lug" to a smokeless barrel so that it would function in the action. Is this too big a hurdle and would a new breech plug be an issue? Your comments are always appreciated.

I admit to being totally ignorant of this rifle but it sounds like a break over action. I have plenty of experience shooting break-overs including the one in the following image which has one of my barrel in 28" length.

45twist1-copy.jpg

I like the rifle for easy pointing and light weight but it will never shoot with a bolt action. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's inaccurate. It regularly shoots about 3" three shot groups at 200 yards but it's not as accurate or as consistent as a 10ML converted to 45 caliber.

If weight is a consideration the break overs are fine but if accuracy is more the consideration I'd take the bolt any day. I know you might have heard of the accuracy upgrade to the breakover action. I've tried them all with different results but they don't make it shoot like a bolt.

Hey RB, On your Encore, Did you stay with the 209 primer W/ factory extractor, no extractor, or go to a different ignition source?
Thanks a bunch,
Ridge

Ridgeviewer said:
Hey RB, On your Encore, Did you stay with the 209 primer W/ factory extractor, no extractor, or go to a different ignition source?
Thanks a bunch,
Ridge

I use 209s with no extractor most the time but I have used the standard extractor without any difficulties.

Try as I might I can't find any better ignition than the 209. I had a system using large rifle and LR magnum primers with a custom breech plug at one time but I never got it to shoot as well as 209s.

I have handled the TC Triumph and was impressed by the lightweight and the break open action. I won't buy one as being from Massachusetts we can't use a break open muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season. I am not sure if the action would be up to smokeless pressures. The action is made of aluminum. I would question whether or not the pressures of smokeless would be too much .

Personally, I think the Encore, H & R and perhaps the KP1 knight would be the only ACTIONS strong enough for smokeless applications. If the actions can handle centerfire barrels they may be okay for smokeless with a new barrel made specifically for smokeless pressures. None of the muzzleloader barrels except the Savage should even be considered for smokeless powders.

bigbore442001 said:
I have handled the TC Triumph and was impressed by the lightweight and the break open action. I won't buy one as being from Massachusetts we can't use a break open muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season. I am not sure if the action would be up to smokeless pressures. The action is made of aluminum. I would question whether or not the pressures of smokeless would be too much .
I may not understand how smokeless muzzleloader barrels are built. However, I don't think the host action strength has much to do with it. The breech plug is locked to the barrel. The only pressure the action sees is a small amount of thrust from the primer. But, I could be wrong :)
Take care, have fun....
Roger D. in Southern Indiana

RogerDailey said:
bigbore442001 said:
I may not understand how smokeless muzzleloader barrels are built. However, I don't think the host action strength has much to do with it. The breech plug is locked to the barrel. The only pressure the action sees is a small amount of thrust from the primer. But, I could be wrong :)
Take care, have fun....

You are right except that the recoil from the barrel is exerted on the action. There is a lot more energy with some smokeless loads. At least that is my opinion. That is why a T/C Encore can handle larger caliber rounds than a T/C G2 or contender. Both can have the same diameter and strength barrel but the contenders cannot handle higher pressure rounds.

encoreguy said:
RogerDailey said:
bigbore442001 said:
Take care, have fun....

You are right except that the recoil from the barrel is exerted on the action. There is a lot more energy with some smokeless loads. At least that is my opinion. That is why a T/C Encore can handle larger caliber rounds than a T/C G2 or contender. Both can have the same diameter and strength barrel but the contenders cannot handle higher pressure rounds.
You are right except the question was about pressures not recoil.

Back