40 Caliber last evaluation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBinAR

Reaction score
I have been spending the days between 45 conversions working on what I had. The only working barrel I received in my last order was the 40 caliber 1 in 16 twist model that's now mounted on Steve White's frame.

After shooting enough shots to about know what I'm doing I've come to the conclusion Steve might very well enjoy this rifle for some time. At this point I can say it has functioned as expected. Groups are about normal (for my shooting) for an accurate rifle of this type. Along with good groups I haven't noticed any function problems like a tendency for misfires or excessive pressure to the primer (using a reasonable load) but I have shot the rifle only about 80 times. That does not qualify as a long period.

One thing I had questioned was if shooting with a wad was a neccesity. To answer that question I submit the following image.
wdi-copy.jpg

The target on the left was shot using a cork wad as shown on the target. The group size as seen is in the 2 1/4" range. That's fairly large compared to what I've been getting but it does not exclude the use of this type of wad because the load was built for a different wad. That wad is shown with the target on the right and on the same day the group shot is pretty typical of my normal results at 1 1/8".

The two targets seem to show that choice of a wad in sabotless shooting does make a difference. But that is not near the impact as what is not shown. To make the test fair I decided to shoot the same load with no wad. I didn't bother to post the image because a three shot group where 2 of the 3 don't touch the paper doesn't make much of a point. But needless to say at this time I feel the cjhoice of a fiber wad is worth the effort.
sw40-copy.jpg

So the time has come to send it home. Steve will have the final say on the project as to if it can stand the test of time. Also he will get to determine if the shooting performance matches the desired. One thing about if being unique is the objective I think he's already achieved that. I don't know where you're going to find another one of these.

:D Rick, and others,
I'll give the gun a good comparison with the 45 PacNor. I've been impressed with saboted 200SST in the 45, especially yours. I think the big question is whether the 40 will out shoot the 45. If the 40 is no more accurate, nor faster than the 45, it seems to me the 45 would be the winner in that it could equal the 40 with 40 cal bullets and still be able to shoot 45 cal bullets sabotless. Saving a sabot a shot, nor being able to shoot over 2 shots in quick succession wouldn't offset the advantages of the 45 over a 40 is accuracy is the same. The Hawk bullet(s) will be tested. Since my main goal is to just shoot 200SSTs (I have a lot of blems), I believe the 40 has already proven viable. Of course :lol: duplex may make a difference. I'll report.
Steve

Many of us are interested in how it actually compares, will theory and actuality merge? I hope you have good shooting weather and time and we shall soon have an idea.

jims said:
Many of us are interested in how it actually compares, will theory and actuality merge? I hope you have good shooting weather and time and we shall soon have an idea.
I plan to devote more time to this shooting than any other smokeless in the past 4-5 years. I'll do this because of the possible implications of the 45 and 40's impact on smokeless MLing and simply just for myself also. I plan to shoot my 50 SMI(with Ron's recommended loads), stock ML-2(with recommended loads as well as 4198 and 60g VV-120/300 Barnes and SST, and the 40 and 45 primarily with 200SST but some with 175 Barnes and 235 Hawk. Will also shoot some of the Parkers out of my 45. I will await the outcome of some of the shooting before seeing if I want to ask Kasey to replace my oversized 45 with a 40 or stay with a 45. I haven't shot much for nearly a year due to the limitations of my 453 land distance in my 45 PacNor and having arrived enough with the Sav and SMI 50s(avg of close to MOA). Now there will be something new and exciting to study! :D .
Without question, we are blessed to have Rick who is so thorough in his treatment of the total firearm. Trigger,bedding,recoil lug,spring bolt release, outstanding breechplug design, finishing, mating of it all - all these go into having semi-custom guns that are unique in their capabilities.

I'll use wind flags, my Hart benchrest rest, chrono, etc to get valid results. Since I shoot in farm land, there will be no problem of range, not the placement of tgts so only a head/tail wind will be predominate.
Steve White

Well get busy Steve! Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to seeing your results.
Seriously.... Get Busy... :lol: :lol:
Have fun,
Ridge

Ridgeviewer said:
Well get busy Steve! Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to seeing your results.
Seriously.... Get Busy... :lol: :lol:
Have fun,
Ridge
It will help to get the gun first. I currently have only the 45 PacNor 453(loose) barreled ML-2,stock ML-2, and still need to send SMI to Ron for inspection(plan to do so tomorrow) and new breechplug(s). So, I'm waiting for the 40 from RB and also the rebarreled 45(a 50 cal customized gun - Kevin Rayhill) back from RB also - expect he is awaiting the 45 PacNors to replace the 5 barrels he recently got that were loose like my current 45. Incidentally, PacNor has identified the defective button(6 lands) which makes 453 barrels vs the 8 land button that makes 450 barrels. This button certainly has caused a lot of extra work and frustration for RB. Sorry about that. I live diagonally across the state of Arkansas from RB but am considering flying down to Texarkana from Piggott(actually Cambell, MO where my plane is hangered) on Sat unless its not ready or if it has already been shipped.

Incidentally, PacNor has identified the defective button(6 lands) which makes 453 barrels vs the 8 land button that makes 450 barrels. This button certainly has caused a lot of extra work and frustration for RB

Maybe Pac-Nor will send Rick a few extra barrels to help off set the extra work he's looking at. I'm sure they will want everyone involved happy.
:)

Latest posts

Back