Curious Bear - What would you do?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that person was not hunting bear, or not wanting to shoot that particular bear, he let the bear get a little too close. But I have had them within 10 feet of me in a ground blind. Believe me, I was holding the cushion of my seat nice and tight and it was not with my hands...

If he did not want that bear, he should have started talking to it a lot sooner. Not waiting until it gets on the ladder. Bear will normally spook real easy. Just a "Hey Bear!" will normally set then running off. The problem with letting them get too close is they sometimes can panic and no telling what they would do then. If that was a sow with cubs, he should have started talking to it the second he saw the cubs.

That bear was actually tracking him. You could tell because it was paying such close attention to the things that person probably touched and where they probably walked. That is one reason I never use vanilla as a cover scent for bear. It can be used on the bait pile to attract them or mist it on bushes, but keep it away from where you want to stand. Bear like the smell.

That was a nice bear. I stopped hunting them years ago. In Wisconsin, you just have to wait too long to get a harvest tag anymore. But bear are all over the area where I live. We see them in our yards, on the forest roads, walking in the woods, just about any time, one can show up.

..most likely he put some food on the woodpile to attract the bears ..he must have stepped on the food and walked to his tree stand ,bear just followed the food scent .. i think he wanted some bear pictures [video] and got more than he actually wanted ..in his case if he was not armed i would strongly suggest that he buy's a can of BEAR REPELLENT for his safety ...

The way this story was related to me, the guy had a 12 ga. in his lap.

I had a 400+ lb bear put his paws on my bowhunting ladder stand and look up at me a couple of years ago. That was plenty close, so I told him not to come up. I was on a hillside and he spooked and ran up the hill until he was level with me about 10-12 yards out. He sat down and looked at me for a while before walking off. It took a little to keep calm since I only had my bow and he knew I was there from my scent, and he seemed to be looking for where it was coming from.

Latest posts

Back