Trail cam ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjac

Reaction score
I see some nice wildlife pictures here, so I want to ask, which trail cam do you guys use?

I am in the market for one. The Moultrie M80 has some good reviews but has been discontinued and replaced by a Moultrie M880. Anyone using a M880?

TIA

mjac,

I have several friends who have the M80 and they are good cameras, dont know anyone using the M880. With that said I have four of the Bushnell Trophy Cams. The last two I bought are the HD (119437C) and they are great cams. The battery life on the Bushnell is much better that the Moultrie M80. The model 119437C is on sale at Walmart online for $139 which is a great deal. I can send you a few examples from my Bushnells if you PM me your e mail address.

Scott

Bushnell Trophy Cams for me too. Battery life is unbelievable! I put 8 AA batteries in it and they lasted all season.

A Bushnell Trophy is on my short list too. I looked at the one Scott mentioned, model 119437C, but could not determine the size SD card it uses. Anyone know?
Best price I have seen tho.

EDit: Never mind, I found the card size...........up to 32GB.

I have a Stealth Cam G42, which I am really impressed with. The video and pictures have been excellent so far, both day and night. Also, I like that the batteries seem to last forever. One of my buds uses the CuddleBack Long Range models, and honestly I think it's just as good as my Stealth Cam, the only thing I like more about mine is that the 3 presets are pretty much perfect for my use.

I bought a few of the Coverts UV5 and brownings recon force...to me the night pictures are what counts....clarity...I like these 2 cameras alot..and you can find them at good prices if you look around...the browning takes great night pics and video..and battery life is great...i forgot to take the batteries out from 2013...come 2014 when setting them up the batteries were still good..but changed them...also trigger speed counts alot..cause you can loose a shot if the trigger takes awhile after a shot to be ready again...all cameras mentioned in this post are good cameras...worse camera I seen was a wild life inovations...on night shots all you seen was eyes...no body...and it was set up correct also..just was poor quality...primos has some good ones also..seen my buudies pics and were nice..My GF uses mine in summer to film the hunninbirds at the feeder...great videos...

I currently run Moultrie M880's and a 990i. I also have a Browning Dark Ops, which is a sweet little camera. They have great battery life using AA lithiums, take nice daytime photos, okay night photos (black flash) and I feel they don't miss a thing. If I were to pick up more, right now, it would be either this year's Moultrie 880/990 or another Dark Ops.

Wife and kids got me a Cabelas camera 2 years ago. I have had multiple cameras and this has been the best by a long shot. Great photos and the battery life is incredible. When I got it on Christmas of '13 we set it up the next day. Had it by the feeder through the extreme winter we had. Took thousands of pics and when I pulled it in April battery life was still 50%.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t103867380

We have a Bushnell, no two of them and wanted one more. A friend told us about a Wildgame trail cam so we bought one. It was 1/3 the price of Bushnell and takes three times better pictures! I wish we would have bought a couple more at the time.

03mossy said:
Wife and kids got me a Cabelas camera 2 years ago. I have had multiple cameras and this has been the best by a long shot. Great photos and the battery life is incredible. When I got it on Christmas of '13 we set it up the next day. Had it by the feeder through the extreme winter we had. Took thousands of pics and when I pulled it in April battery life was still 50%.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... ail-Cameraparis cdg transfer/1636303.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrail-cameras-accessories%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1100176%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103867380%3FWTz_l%3Dundefined%253Bcat104767380%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=undefined%3Bcat104767380%3Bcat103867380
you have the chance, the battery problem is annoying

I bought a $35 Tasco from Walmart last week and put it on a cornpile. I hope it takes decent pics, it bragged of good battery life but suggested Energizer Lithium. 8 of these were $16, by the time I put an 8 gb sandisk card in it with those batteries, I realized I had doubled the cost of the cam LOL. I had thought it would not time and date stamp but you must put the card in the cam, turn it on then off and transfer to computer and you can synch the info to the card. You have to quickly put sd card back in the cam and turn on, but it is supposed to work? Time will tell.

I have Covert cams, just a couple that are a few years old. Most cameras time and date stamp, along with other things like temp, moon phase, etc. I just changed the batteries in them this summer, after 2 full years...and probably 20,000 pics. * regular AA batteries. They stay out from about June/July through Feb...so I'm super happy with the battery life. Take nice pics day and night...I'm sure there are better and worse cams. Technology improves every year.

What I do with mine, get some extra SD cards and a little card reader. Can be had real cheap on Amazon. I just take a clean card out with me, and swap it out. When I get home I plug in the card to my reader and view everything on my pc. Save what I want, delete the others...the card is now clean for another swap.

WV Hunter said:
I have Covert cams, just a couple that are a few years old. Most cameras time and date stamp, along with other things like temp, moon phase, etc. I just changed the batteries in them this summer, after 2 full years...and probably 20,000 pics. * regular AA batteries. They stay out from about June/July through Feb...so I'm super happy with the battery life. Take nice pics day and night...I'm sure there are better and worse cams. Technology improves every year.

What I do with mine, get some extra SD cards and a little card reader. Can be had real cheap on Amazon. I just take a clean card out with me, and swap it out. When I get home I plug in the card to my reader and view everything on my pc. Save what I want, delete the others...the card is now clean for another swap.

I picked up a card reader that has a micro USB instead of a regular USB. I pull the memory card and either download the pics right on my tablet in the woods or I can just view them from my phone. Extremely handy.

WV- I have had a few cameras that if you delete the memory card images on your pc the cards formatting gets messed up and you have to reformat them when you put the card back in the camera. In most trail cam manuals it specifically says to delete items right on the camera only. But that's good your covert cams don't have that problem. Heads up to others is all.

I've been using Primos Blackout cams the last two years. Quality and trigger time is good and battery life is great. I leave them out from Sept through Jan 1 and never have to replace the batteries.

A whitetail frienzy in front of our 2 cameras

Happened 2 years ago. We own a little 14 acre woodlot where we reside and are surrounded by over 400 acres of Minnesota Wild Life Management acres. Our rut peaks just days before the Minnesota Firearms season and we hunt during that 10 day season with our muzzleloaders as well as the later muzzleloader season. We had our 2 cameras out for a few weeks prior to the season and had photos of the usual suspects (does, fawns and some small bucks). 4 days before the gun opener (tuesday)we about 4 inches of the falls first snow. My oldest son decided to take a walk on Friday after work and check the cameras (the night before the gun opener) and between the 2 cameras we had photos of 7 different bucks, monster 8, big 8, couple of nice 6 pt. and some smaller forks. My son shot a nice 6 pt. the next morning, it was not any that we had photos of and we never saw any of those other bucks the entire balance of the season. Most of those photos we during dusk, dawn or during the night. There is a very very large duck slough just down the road and many other marshy areas nearby, I think they just run themselves down chasing during the dark and hole up in the cattails for the day as there is considerable hunting pressure around the areas.

Latest posts

Back