• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

looking for cap and ball revolving black powder pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

751510shooter

Reaction score
I want one of those navy peacemakers or 1862 whatever they call them. I love my muzzleloader so much that id like to delve deeper into the world of black powder. Id like this one to be my self defense side arm, loaded and placed next to my bed nightly. Anyone know the best deal out there?

Found an Uberti 1858 Remington new army for $319 plus 11 bucks shipping, its on backorder, with any luck I get it in about 8 days. Cant wait, but now I want the conversion cylinder :? so with any luck i'll have that in about a month or so.

Cabela's sells F. L. Pietta revolvers. They are not in the class of the Ruger or Uberti but I do own a Remington Model 1858 New Army Target model. And it has been an excellent pistol. Very accurate and nice to shoot.

But as to self defense... I could think of better pistols. But it would get the job done in a single action kind of way. I was shooting 25 grains of 3f powder and a .451 ball out of my revolver and was very surprised at the power and penetration of that thing out to 25 yards.

Oh yeah that's why im getting it, pure fun. But I agree it could get the job done if it came down to it. Its also one of those end of the world kind of guns, if you know how to pour lead and make all the other goodies you might need. I ordered it on easter from midway usa, and now its exactly one week later. no change in the status on the website, still on back order. I really hope it doesn't take longer than one more week. im gonna get worried if things don't happen this week. As long as I see it change from backordered to received I will be pleased.

I would really consider one of the modern single shots, like the CVA Optima pistol in stainless.

At least it will have some real hunting potential and better accuracy.

I already have a Traditions Pursuit Accelerator Ultralight, .50 caliber muzzle-loader, that's what got me into black powder, well, fireworks got me into black powder but I wanted a more practical and legal approach to get a whiff of that sweet sulfury goodness. So now i want a plinking revolver, something with 6 shots before reloading, and even then I could swap out the cylinder if things weren't too dirty. So midway couldn't come through in time, so I contacted Taylor & Co, with much better results. They too had the Uberti 1858 with blued steel frame on backorder, but they called me the next day after my online inquiry, and told me they had an Uberti 1858 in a brand new finish, that came out this year, called black rock. It was only $116 more for a total of $418, (because the blued steel at Taylor & Co was only $302.00 as opposed to midwayusa's price of $319.00) and it should arrive in the next day or so because I ordered it with the cheapest shipping, US parcel ground mail. 3-5 days usually. Here is a link of the new finish with information on why it is so much better~VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Taylor’s & Co. Black Rock 1858 New Army - American Riflemanhttp://www.americanrifleman.org ... k-new-army

Back