230 Hornady XTP-GRENADE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In my efforts to locate good bullets to use in low power loads ,I tried the Hornady 230 XTP .45 cal.using 60 gr of 3f Swiss, I got very good accuracy and equally violent expansion. With a velocity of 1450 fps, its faster than the design permits ( 1240 fps). It would make a very effective varmint load though. I would expect a " fog and fur" type impact. A better bullet for light loads is the Winchester 230 .45 cal JHP. Superb accuracy and awesome terminally.This bullet holds its core, even in dirt, better than just about every bullet I've tried.Just dont drive it too fast, it is a .45 ACP slug. For kids or short(er) range loads it a peach! 50gr of 3f T7 or 60 of 3f Swiss is about max for it. Chrono'd from my 26 inch Black Diamond its 1450 fps. + 1 1/2" at 50 and dead on at 100. Recovered slugs typically are nearly 1 inch in diameter and I blew one through a doe 2 years ago on a 50 yard front 1/4ing shot.She went 30 yards and it was a great batch of chest soup!

Latest posts

Back