Hornady SST 250 grain....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Shot with 2 pellets 777 for whitetails. 150 yards max, likely no more than 100 yds.

Anyone had any problems with these bullets not getting the job done??

250 gr. Hornady SST

I haven't had the chance to get a deer with these but with 2 50gr. 777 pellets the Hornady 250 gr. SST-ML High Speed/Low Drag sabots, (red sabots) shoot 1" groups in both of my MLs.

That will get the job done, but I had to thoroughly clean my barrel after every shot, with the 777, to get it to group worth a darn. The SST is going to exit, even if you take out both front shoulders, but if you hit bone, expect to find massage hemmorage in the cutaneous maximus (connective tissue) between the hide and meat. Not sure why, but we have seen hemmorage clear up to the backstrap, and around under the belly, when the shoulder bone is hit.

I used the 300 grain SST-ML w/ 100 grain BH 209 in an Accura V1. Getting 1 inch groups at 100 yrds. Took 4 deer this year, all within 100 yrds and the deer did not go more than 20 yards before falling over. I did not experience any problems with expantion of the bullet.

Back