Broadheads... my brain hurts...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
So now that I have a little piece of my own land I am getting into bowhunting. I've always enjoyed shooting bows but now plan to hunt. I saved and bought myself a new Bowtech Carbon Icon over the summer and I love it and am actually becoming a decent shot. Now I need to decide on which broadheads. Holy choices batman! It's worse than picking a bullet for my muzzleloaders. There's just so many choices and reading reviews just confuses me more. Right now I am leaning towards Grim Reaper razortip expandables. Any suggestions from you more seasoned bow hunters?

I've always shot Muzzy three blade 100 grn fixed blades. Tough and fly very well. Never had less than a total pass through. If you like expandables take a look at G5's.

Same as rangerod. I use Beeman Carbon arrows. And commonly blow through any deer I shoot at. Unless I high shoulder shoot them. Muzzy always got the job done for me. I too have seen some of them fancy arrow heads out there. But a sharp three blade is a killer.

Ive seen more varied opinions and arguments over broadhead than any bullet "fave" discussion. I have used many over the years, but personally I shy away from expandibles. I dont believe in moving parts on a projectile, and follow the theory, of simple= less chance for failure. For the last decade or so, I have been using Montec G5. They are almost indestructable, easily resharpened and reusable. My #1 arrow has been through 4 deer and a coyote now. I just resharpen and its all ready to go. It IS in its second arrow. I believe people like to blame the arrow (bullet) many times for a rushed or bad shot. I use the same broadhead for both compound, and recurve bows. The recurve arrows just have weighted inserts in the tip also. In reality, most any quality broadhead is fine, shot placement is probably more important. Just be aware where you buy them, and exactly what they are. Most popular heads have a chinese knockoff counterpart, with much inferior materials. I believe a LOT of the negative reviews on these things are due to buying the cheap knockoffs. ( most are packaged and labeled to mimic the originals) Just be aware if you purchase through amazon or similar, and who the vendor is. Usually that great deal price, isnt really such a great deal in reality..

One of the problems I see with expendables with a large cutting diameter is lack of penetration unless you are shooting a high poundage with a heavy arrow. I go along with Squeeze less moving parts is better. Less to go wrong. Fixed blade broadheads are the tried and tested.

I usually practice the KISS method with most things. Maybe I need to rethink this expandable thing and just pick a good fixed blade.

Thanks guys

I think you're on the right track. A friend of mine also shoots the Montec G5 and loves them. He tried the Rage expandables and didn't like them. He went right back to the G5. I started out with Thunderheads but liked the design of the Muzzy better. Don't go cheap on broadheads. Choose blades with .030 thickness. Most will be 1 3/16 cutting diameter. I approach the issue same way I do with the muzzleloader as far as cost goes. After all how many shots will you likely take during a hunting season? Probably just a few. :yeah:

I use fixed blade 100gr SlickTricks.
I also bareshaft tune my bows so the broadheads hit where the field points hit, just don't bareshaft tune with a broadhead.

BuckDoeHunter said:
I use fixed blade 100gr SlickTricks.
I also bareshaft tune my bows so the broadheads hit where the field points hit, just don't bareshaft tune with a broadhead.
what is bare shaft tune? Never heard of that.

Shoot an arrow with no fletching, just a field point. It is initially done up close to see how the arrow hits the target, tail up, down, left, right, etc. It's like paper tuning but with no fletching, there is no arrow correction when it leaves the bow.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2375392

If you have good bareshaft flight, most likely, broadheads will hit the target where field points hit.

Went to cabelas today and picked up a pack of Slick Trick Mags. Figured I'd skip the mechanicals for now as its one less thing to worry about. Being new to bow hunting I'm going to be nervous enough if a shot presents itself, don't need to be worrying about the broadheads opening.

You won't be disappointed with tricks.
620a893e8b136a65ae973f5c5348c6e4.jpg
327de4c4a02e2a1bad6d26ba3ec64c7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick Trick Mags are an excellent choice!

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use G5 strikers or Rage 2 blade chisel tips on my compound on my crossbow rage 2 blade or G5 strikers. All performed excellent filling the freezer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im using grim reapers this season, But I always make sure my bows will shoot several fixed head with my field points to at least 30 yards.

I tuned my bow this season with a anarchy 1.5" fixed head, QAD exodus and magnus buzzcuts.

My favorite heads that i would recommend

Fixed

QAD exodus
Magnus stinger and buzzcuts
Ramcat
anarchy

Mech
grave digger

I dont mention the reapers because I dont have experience on game with them yet, all reviews are very positive and I expect they will work great.

03mossy said:
I usually practice the KISS method with most things. Maybe I need to rethink this expandable thing and just pick a good fixed blade.

Thanks guys

Maybe a hybrid, look at grave diggers. Even if the head doesnt open (highly doubt you would experience that due to the design) it ill still cut a hole as big as many 2 blade heads.

again, make sure fixed head will tune first though. I have a box filled with broadheads and make sure a few of them will group with field tips before the season.

I use slick tricks also. Great heads! I use 125 mags
If your bow is properly tuned, getting a quality head to shoot perfect isn't that difficult. The issue I see is when people go to a mechanical as a band-aid for a poorly tuned bow - they can't get a fixed head to fly right so they screw on a mechanical. There are certainly some good mech heads these days, but I'm a firm believer in less potential problems by using a quality fixed head. I know mine will be open :lol:

Good luck Mossy :yeah:

WV Hunter said:
I use slick tricks also. Great heads! I use 125 mags
If your bow is properly tuned, getting a quality head to shoot perfect isn't that difficult. The issue I see is when people go to a mechanical as a band-aid for a poorly tuned bow - they can't get a fixed head to fly right so they screw on a mechanical. There are certainly some good mech heads these days, but I'm a firm believer in less potential problems by using a quality fixed head. I know mine will be open :lol:

Good luck Mossy :yeah:

agree with the bandaid part, horrible idea to cover your tuning and form issues with a mech. Can result in poor penetration.

Use to only use fixed heads but idk, been on a mech kick lately. grave diggers are awesome heads, fly like lazers, penetrate great and leave big holes. Using grim reaper this year and expect good results as well, pretty proven head.

Back