Doe w/recurve GRAPHIC

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Killed this young doe tonight with my Groves Spitfire Mag I recurve 56 in. 53@28 w/ 1916 arrow and 150 gr. 4 bld. Stinger broad head..shot was 12 yds hit high but broad head made it into lungs but shot her again as she was spinning in circles.

sq47l5.jpg

Nice work on the kill. Good looking animal.

Years ago I shot a Grove's bow. My draw length is almost 32" and I never liked it....the arrows seemed so darned long. I had a 4" overdraw added to the bow and that allowed for some fun arrows, much lighter and thinner and flew like bullets. That Groves recurve was one of the smoothest bow I ever shot in spite of the near 70 pound weight at full draw. I also had a Black Widow take-down recurve that scaled 72 pounds at my draw length with a 4" over draw that was absolutely the smoothest shooter ever for me. I'm looking at recurves again now, PSE in particular.

Ive got a buddy who is 6`8 and has almost a 32 in. draw length, uses full length arrows and draws them back to where they almost touch riser..gets really good speed at that draw length even with real heavy arrows..
Ive owned over 200 custom recurve/longbows and don't know how many production bows but out of all of them the Groves, Damon Howatt Super Diablos and the Hi-Speeds have been my favorites..
At one time I was shooting a 67# Groves Spitfire Mag III at my draw 28 3/4 in. and it was fast w/heavy arrows.

MrTom said:
Nice work on the kill. Good looking animal.

Years ago I shot a Grove's bow. My draw length is almost 32" and I never liked it....the arrows seemed so darned long. I had a 4" overdraw added to the bow and that allowed for some fun arrows, much lighter and thinner and flew like bullets. That Groves recurve was one of the smoothest bow I ever shot in spite of the near 70 pound weight at full draw. I also had a Black Widow take-down recurve that scaled 72 pounds at my draw length with a 4" over draw that was absolutely the smoothest shooter ever for me. I'm looking at recurves again now, PSE in particular.

Back