How Many Muzzleloaders Are Also Archers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ1980

Reaction score
In a way it seems natural for a person who likes the challenge of either weapon would like the other as well.

I have to admit the biggest attraction of black powder for me was all the opportunities I had while bowhunting that I know I could have taken with a muzzleloader but not with a bow!

Count me in! Its funny, 20 years ago I hunted with shotgun only. I hated anything to do with archery. Then about 15 years ago, I worked with a guy that had a bow for sale, and he talked me into buying it and joining a 3-D league. I was hooked the first time I shot it, but I still didnt hunt with it for another 5 years. After I started hunting with the bow, I didnt even want to pick up the shotgun, but my landowner always wanted me to hunt the gun season with him, so for 4 days every year, I dug the gun out and hunted with that. It just seemed like it was too easy to just point the shotgun and unload everytime I saw something, and I knew that wasnt right. And then a few years ago, I decided that once I got into December, it was just too cold to hunt with the bow, so I took up the ML. This past year was my first year hunting with a ML.

i started bowhunting

and was a die hard (carried my bow even in gun season)

now i love the MLs like bowhunting but now i have 100 extra yards

if you like to bow hunt try a pistol (im not talking scoped encore in 308, im talking 357 revolver or a 44)

its up close and personal and like bowhunting but you can go 70 yards or so (i shoot 50-60 on targets with my bow but hunting is 40 or less)

JD

I bought a muzzle loader to extend my season. I owned a bow but never hunted with it and decided to give it a try to extend my season even more. Once I started to hunt with a bow I think I learn as much again about hunting as I knew before.

die hard bow nut....

Decided to try ML this fall for kicks(pun intended).
Liked it, will do it again..but it just didn't seem to have the intensity of a bow hunt. Just me, but the extra 100yards took the edge off for me.

I slug hunted my entire life(gave it up for good for a bow) and it felt like that.

Deer

Bow , muzzeloader,rifle, spear, tommahawk, rocks ,sticks, whatever they will let me chase deer with! Partial to the mathews bow.
Wayles

Re: Deer

wayles said:
Bow , muzzeloader,rifle, spear, tommahawk, rocks ,sticks, whatever they will let me chase deer with! Partial to the mathews bow.
Wayles

Make mine a Drenalin, Wayne!

bow

Spit, they are A fine piece of equipment ,no doubt.
Wayles

Been hunting with a bow since the 60's, Ml for a dozen years or so. I like both as well as CF. Now that I am a ol'timer with bad shoulder its a ten point stealth11
RC

I hunt with the bows that don't have training wheels... :lol: :wink: The old Ben Pearsons are addicting. :wink:

I definitely hunt with a bow more than anything else but most anything gun is inline or flintlock. cant wait 4 spring turkey to start. here is what i got last year, first bird with a bow......
42608happyface_edited.jpg

I got my first bow 37 years ago. I shot and shot and shot. I have been through a dozen compounds and a few recurves. I hunted with a bow to extend my season. Here in the west, we only get one tag per critter if we are lucky enough to draw that. My primary hunting weapon is the muzzleloader. I have no desire to ever shoot a bow again. I have taken a few dozen whitetails and some very good bucks with stick and string, but it is my least favorite method of killing.

Latest posts

Back