How Many Muzzleloaders Are Also Archers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michigan here......I hunt bow season, thru muzzleloading season & LOVE them all!!

Got my 1st Deer on the 19th of Nov. with a Mathews Legacy. I have 2 tags left 1 ML 1 Archery Archery til Dec 6, short break for 2nd shotgun then A Christmas gift Combo ML and Archery season 23 Dec- 10 Jan.
Deer hunting in Iowa starts Oct 1 thru Jan 10ish Mix up of weapons Life's Goooood!!!
Hunting arsenal;
Mathews Legacy
Knight Disc extreme
Mossburg 500 12g
Glock 21

:lol:im a traditional bowhunter,i hunt with a bear recurve it is a 1956 kodiak,hunt muzzleloader mainly in our late season, with in-line early season

Shotgun,muzzleloader, and archery. Love em all but the smokepole and the bow really get me going!

I began as a Traditional Bowhunter. Bow season for me begins on Sept 27 if I have tags left over from the last season.
I was out this season on the first day of Muzzy season, I forgot that it opening day for ML. I was in my area of public land that I bow hunt and noticed that I was gettin a lot of company. I usually don't see anyone during bow season. Then the shootin began! Sounded like a small battle breaking out! :shock:
Then I remembered it was ML opening day. As I sat in my stand I began to consider looking into getting me an inline ML and I am glad I did. The Doe I got this season I would never had a chance to get if I had been bowhunting.
Hunting with a muzzleloader still gives me a sense of fair chase that I get as a trad bowhunter, and it is still one shot one kill along with like someone else mentioned all the fun of getting close, scouting, and all the other stuff that gets me in the woods that goes along with the bow.
As I think now I will probably bow hunt till Muzzy season starts and then finish the year with that. Worked well for this year!

Been bowhunting since i was 10 years old, (almost 30 years ago) first archery deer @ 15,
Started shooting a muzzleloader at about 17 killed one the 1st time out been hooked ever since.
Bowhunting is my 1st love but muzzleloading a close second.

Bow, rifle & ML. I love being in the woods in the cold & snow. That's where the Ml comes in. But to be honest if I had to pick one it would be Bowhunting. Santa brought me a recurve this year. That's my next challenge , instinctive shooting.

I have bowhunted my entire life. Now over the past few years I have started to hunt with a muzzleloader more. I have always loved shooting my Hawken that I built from a kit in high school.

I live in NH, and the bow season runs for 3 months uninterrupted. One deer of either sex is allowed. When it came time for muzzleloader season, the rules were that you had to shoot a buck, except for a one or two day period at the beginning. Hard choice was to be prepared for any deer by taking the bow, or take a chance that a buck would come by and bring the muzzleloader. After checking with Fish and Game Dept, I found out that it was perfectly legal to bring both bow and muzzleloader into the woods as long as the season was open for that particular weapon. I'm switching to a muzzleloader handgun this year, and will bring both bow and ML pistol with me up in my stand. I don't think you can legally do that in many states. For what it's worth, this is my first post. Nice web site ! jemerrill from NH

here in SW OHIO we deer hunt ANY LEAGL WAY WE CAN.
I was raised to be a hunter, THUS we raised all 4 of out kids to do the same.
hunter safety class. and just general in the field day trips is normal in our clan.
bowhunting i think is a better chase also. i really get a charge out of ground level eye lash blinking shots.
here is a picture of by best friends buck this past season. my wife that is.LOL.
and the buck i got bow season during the rut. i make my own deer lure and this buck came in like he was on a love sick hangover

Attachments

• 2014 dee buck .jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,877
  • 6269_726000167476320_896594864301927686_n.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,877
I got my first bow in 1957 and a few years later started with an old wore out muzzleloader. It had rocks, nails and everything you can think of shot out the barrel by prior relatives, and of course I was a kid that followed traditions.

I have a Hoyt Nitrum for elk and a new TC Impact for deer . I no longer have the Encore I had . I got away from muzzleloaders for a while a just started again today . By the way Wal Mart is having a sale on all the muzzle loader stuff . Got the TC for 199.00 , Camo stock and weather shield .

I was a avid bowhunter growing up and after getting married and having kids I couldn't dedicate the time to it so I switched to muzzleloading. I sold all of my muzzleloaders except my old hawkens and started bow hunting several years ago when my sons were able to archery hunt themselves and it's been a blast hunting with them. I have always had a passion for ML so I was in the gun shop last week and picked up a Whites super 91 .50 cal someone traded. kind of got the bug again and am going to apply for a ML antelope tag next season. Blake

Latest posts

Back