Climbing Sticks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your favorite climbing sticks? I'm looking for some lightweight sticks to pack for some long walks into public ground. I just picked up a cheap hang-on treestand for myself (may leave it on the tree for a little while so if stolen, not a great loss) and a Muddy BloodSport treestand for my younger son. I don't mind spending money on quality sticks cause I will always take those down after the hunt.

Most all the newer style climbing sticks on the market today are light weight. The problem with them is they are so bulky that packing them in would be a PIA.
I use a LOT of hang on stands,, and I like to hang them HIGH,,,, like 22-24 feet or higher. My biggest beef with most climbing sticks is they are not long enough so it takes multiple packs of sticks to reach the stand. I also like the sticks to extend 3-4 feet past the stand.
My solution to this knocks out two birds with one rock.
I buy a bunch of screw in steps and use them for the first 10 feet or so. Then I start up with my sticks. This puts the top of my ladder at around 26-28 feet. When done hunting, I just take out the screw in steps and leave the rest. No hauling stands in and out and nobody is going to hunt that stand unless they can jump about 12 feet to reach the bottom climbing stick.
The other thing I do is buy all these sticks after deer season is over when the stores put them on clearance. A few years ago the local Academy had 16' sticks that normally sold for $39.00 marked down to $8.99. I bought all they had left which was like 14 boxes. When I brought them to the check out the Manager gave them to me for $6.99. :) They also had the screw in steps marked down to $1.00 for a 6 pack.
Nows the time to find those kind of deals if they aren't already sold out.
ALWAYS rig a safety rope for climbing up and down,,,,, always.

Great advice to shop after the huntnig season - great deals out there.

U-tube has some good vidios on how to make your own safety rope with a prusic knot - you only have one life.

Something that might interest you is what I like to do on public land where it's allowed to leave the stand in place... I'll take several screw in steps and put them in my pack. I'll also take 2 of the Ameristep Rapid Rails. The rapid rails will get you up about the first 7-8'. From there I use the screw in steps. I'll leave the screw in steps and take the rapid rails out with me that way they're the only thing I have to haul back in. Folks can't reach the screw steps that way.

Latest posts

Back