Ghillie Suit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do alot of bow hunting from the ground and want to try a ghillie suit for the next bow season. Which one do you like? I am thinking either a 3D leaf suit or the synthetic strands suit. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I prefer the 3D leaf style with the mosquito mesh. It's usually warm here during bow season and the skeeters are buzzing.
I can see me trying to slip through some of these thickets with one of those stranded style ghillie suits. I'd come out the other side with nothing left.

I tried a one from Gander Mountain that was made from yarn,
what I personally discovered was that it held too many scents and I got busted every time. Also I hunt with a crossbow and was afraid the strands of yarn would get in the cam and jump my string off rail.
my best set up been simple mossy oak and full face cover I've sit up against a tree and had a small buck walk so close I could have slapped him on the rump.

a friend of mine took it a step further and cut out an box the shape of a cow and walks behind it he has Got within bow range of deer stalking on open plains.

willie14228 said:
I tried a one from Gander Mountain that was made from yarn,
what I personally discovered was that it held too many scents and I got busted every time. Also I hunt with a crossbow and was afraid the strands of yarn would get in the cam and jump my string off rail.
my best set up been simple mossy oak and full face cover I've sit up against a tree and had a small buck walk so close I could have slapped him on the rump.

a friend of mine took it a step further and cut out an box the shape of a cow and walks behind it he has Got within bow range of deer stalking on open plains.

My son derailed his bow wearing a strand suit. Luckily, the bow didn't come apart, I put it in the press and got everything squared away.

That cow silhouette would be fun to watch in use :applause:

BuckDoeHunter said:
I do alot of bow hunting from the ground and want to try best ghillie suit for the next bow season. Which one do you like? I am thinking either a 3D leaf suit or the synthetic strands suit. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I use this home made Ghillie Suit for bow hunting
Turkey-Shooting.jpg

Re: Ghillie Suitvs. HECS

I tell you, that HECS stuff really works.
If you don't see game, you'd never know.
But when they do show up, if the wind conditions are in your favor, they may nearly bump into you!
The deer walked by me showing no more interest than if I had been a rock or a tree.
I agree that the ghillie helps visually, but the HECS defeats invisible electronic signal of humans!

Re: Ghillie Suitvs. HECS

gemihur said:
I tell you, that HECS stuff really works.
If you don't see game, you'd never know.
But when they do show up, if the wind conditions are in your favor, they may nearly bump into you!
The deer walked by me showing no more interest than if I had been a rock or a tree.
I agree that the ghillie helps visually, but the HECS defeats invisible electronic signal of humans!
I bought a HECS suit with face mask 3 years ago, its just amazing. I have had deer within 15 feet of me (small doe) an adult does just stop an look, but don't get alarmed. I have killed the limit of 5 deer each year since I got this suit. I hunt on the ground, not getting in a tree anymore. You have to watch the wind like always. Just plain works...

Latest posts

Back