Shoulder Trouble

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DW

Reaction score
Probably have to go to a 50-60 lb. pull due to shoulder pain. Looking for some feedback from guys/gals shooting in this draw weight range.

Like to know arrow speed, draw weight, and arrow weight so I can run the numbers on a kinetic energy calculator?

Are you getting complete pass throughs? At what distances?

Type of broadhead and arrows?

Thanks in advance, greatly appreciated.

I had to lower my Mathews from 70#s to 60#s due to shoulder surgery last year. I can't give you arrow speed but can tell you that I only had to adjust the sight very little to compensate for the reduction in draw weight. When I say a little I am talking 2-3". It was dead on at 20 yards when it was 70#s and when I dropped the draw weight to 60 and took it to the range earlier this year it was hitting just a little low right. Minor adjustment and it is now dead on at 60#s at 20 yards. I honestly can't tell much difference in the arrow speed but it has to be just a little slower.

I wasn't able to use it last fall so bought a Barnett crossbow with the ratchet cocking device installed to hunt with last year.

DW said:
Probably have to go to a 50-60 lb. pull due to shoulder pain. Looking for some feedback from guys/gals shooting in this draw weight range.

Like to know arrow speed, draw weight, and arrow weight so I can run the numbers on a kinetic energy calculator?

I shoot with a 50 pound mathews, running a 2315 and a 100 grain broadhead. Arrowspeed is around 200 fps, and passthroughs are pretty much guaranteed.

About KE . . . KE is pretty much a constant, it will change very little. In physics, the KE is supposed to be the same, no matter what arrow you use at any weight, if shot from the same bow. if your bow produces a KE of 40 with a 300 grain arrow traveling at 250fps. . . your bow "physics" wise, will product a KE of 40 with a 600 grain arrow traveling at 170 fps. (Using arrow weights and velocities only to demonstrate, not to be accurate). But, because of variables (like resistance, limb vibration, and other factors) your KE will change ever so slightly. . but it will STILL be very close to the same.

What you need to be concerned about, is Momentum. MO is the forward motion in which the arrow uses to penetrate. A higher MO will penetrate better than a lower MO. And MO will change drastically with arrow weight. There is a HUGE reason why BIG game hunters in Africa and such places use HEAVY arrows. It is called high MO. . which means much better penetration.

60lb BowTech Assassin, 333fps advertised speed, set to approx. 55lb, 27.5" draw length

Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrows, 27" long, approx. 380gr (may be a bit overspined, bareshafts nock right at 20yds, still tinkering)
100gr Slick Trick Mags

arrow speed: approx. 265 fps
kinetic energy: approx. 58 ft-lbs
FOC: approx. 10%

Pass Throughs: Shouldn't be a problem from the research I have done, wish I had some real world experience to share with you but um...ah....er.....I have yet to take a deer with a bow, been trying for a few years but always seem to learn something from my mistakes: don't overbow yourself in cold weather, may not be able to draw it back; don't hit a branch between you and the deer, it may throw your shot under the deer; don't take a quick nap on the ground during the rut, a buck may walk by at 10yds, don't place your kids in the best spot until you get your deer first

Dwayne said:
DW said:

I shoot with a 50 pound mathews, running a 2315 and a 100 grain broadhead. Arrowspeed is around 200 fps, and passthroughs are pretty much guaranteed.

About KE . . . KE is pretty much a constant, it will change very little. In physics, the KE is supposed to be the same, no matter what arrow you use at any weight, if shot from the same bow. if your bow produces a KE of 40 with a 300 grain arrow traveling at 250fps. . . your bow "physics" wise, will product a KE of 40 with a 600 grain arrow traveling at 170 fps. (Using arrow weights and velocities only to demonstrate, not to be accurate). But, because of variables (like resistance, limb vibration, and other factors) your KE will change ever so slightly. . but it will STILL be very close to the same.

What you need to be concerned about, is Momentum. MO is the forward motion in which the arrow uses to penetrate. A higher MO will penetrate better than a lower MO. And MO will change drastically with arrow weight. There is a HUGE reason why BIG game hunters in Africa and such places use HEAVY arrows. It is called high MO. . which means much better penetration.

Great post Dwayne! Some stuff I didn't know.

Latest posts

Back