I bought a bow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenm2

Reaction score
I hung up Archery tackle several years ago. This bow came across my screen so I scooped it.
It is a used Hoyt "Razortec" in great condition 60-70 lbs it fits well and shoots well.
I got it for $175
what do you guys think of this bow? It seems pretty fast to me but I have not shot it much...yet

If you don't know how to service and check your bow, I would suggest taking it to a bow technician and have them go over the bow. They will check your cables, strings, oil the bearings in the pullies if there are any, that kind of thing, and most of all tune the bow.

Many years ago, I purchased a excellent bow for what I thought was bargain basement price. I talked to the seller and he gave me a lot of reasons why he was selling the bow, so I asked to shoot it. It bucked and jumped when released, and just did not feel right, but I made the deal anyway. I took it to a bow dealer and he went over the bow and found it had never been set up correctly. After he did, that has to be the sweetest bow I ever owned.

Also don't get so concerned about speed of the bow. I think while important, its over rated. I concentrate more on bow control and accuracy. Also I am a firm believer in carbon arrows. I shoot Beeman and they are excellent arrows. Hoyt is an excellent bow. I never shot your model but if its the quality of the Hoyt bows I have shot, I am sure it will be an excellent bow.

Thank You for your comments and suggetions. I really like this bow. with half a dozen new arrows I am right at at a $200 investment. once I buy some broadheads I am ready to hunt.
I bought some easton powerflight carbon arrows until I get into it a bit more and know what I want. The bow shoots very quiet and you are right I am not worried about speed too much. I think it is plenty fast. It handles very nicely. and it seems to be more accurate than I am ( at least for now) I know at release if I missed.
I have switched non-optic shooting for anything to left handed due to a change in my dominate eye. Shotguns,opensighted muzzleloaders, and this bow are all left handed. Rifles with scopes it does not seem to matter so I continue to shoot right hnded.
The muscle memory shooting archery has not had enough work to feel confident yet. So basically I am a total newbie to left handed archery. It may take a little while but in the end it will be well worth it. With shotguns there was some discomfort/awkwardness at first but eventually my sporting clays score surpassed what I was ever able to shoot right handed.
I plan on taking the bow in for a tune up then have them evaluate the strings at that time. I will have them drop the poundage as low as my arrows will allow until my skills improve. I have no trouble pulling it back now but cannot help but think lower poundage will help those skills develop sooner.
I used to shoot traditional Tackle so this whole deal is new and somewhat complicated by comparison. Peep sights,drop away arrow rests and the release were a little intimidating at first but the accuracy and speed are amazing.
Oregon does not have any hunt advantages for bowhunters in addition to rifle hunts but it does open some alternatives for some pretty good hunts if we miss our muzzleloader/rifle tags

For that particular bow and at that price you got yourself a good deal. If you get a chance you might want to try some Gold Tip XT carbon arrows. I've been using them for about 15 years and never had a problem with them. I do, however, fletch my own arrows. :yeah:

BOO HOYT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. LOL! I was a Mathews staff shooter & my brother was a Hoyt staff shooter so I had to throw that in there.

Hoyt makes great products & you've gotten a really nice bow at a great price, especially if it's in good condition. Now just try not to go on the cheap for accessories if you can afford it.

Get out there & get a deer & post some pics. Good luck & happy hunting :)

Congrats on returning to the world of bowhunting, my first love. I also shoot Hoyt bows and have for some fifteen years. As you mentioned, the key is to learn the correct way as you go. The accuracy will be coming as long as you learn to pay attention to details. First and foremost is having to correct draw length. Without this, your full potential will be difficult to achieve. You mentioned reducing draw weight, another biggie. Too may are shooting more draw weight than they should which again shows in their lack of group consistency. You ask how I know...

Another point, once your draw weight has been determined, select arrows with the proper spline. All arrows aren't created equal although most top brands are fine as long as they match you bow/draw weight. As you build you archery supplies don't overlook ebay. Many first rate shops and other dedicated archers sell quality products at great prices.

Just think, no ear plugs necessary!!!

Good luck, Bowguy

Latest posts

Back