Bowstrings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffKiller

Reaction score
I bought a PSE Fireflite Express back in 1991. I hunted mule deer with it with limited success (1 bagged, two hit and lost - one went onto private land and by the time I got permission to follow up, the rain had washed away all spoor, and the other, a young buck went over the side of a cliff and got hung up on the side of a steep embankment).

After a couple of years, I wrote PSE about getting a replacement string, and to my surprise they sent me a brand new bowstring fee of charge.

Fast forward 15 years. Thinking about starting back into bowhunting, I started looking for a new bowstring. Nobody carries the string I need. Although some shops offered to make me one, I was looking at $45.00-$50.00 bucks for a bowstring. So I gave up on bowhunting and bought me a muzzleloader.

I am curious, are bowstrings really that hard to find today for some of the older bows, that you almost have to have them custom made?

Sounds like a racket cooked up by bow manufacturers and sporting goods stores to sell more bow IMO.

Just curious.

BuffKiller

First off be careful of professional bow shops. Just for kicks I had my "New" Bow with me and went to a bow shop to have them build carbon arrows for it and tune it. The first this this experts asks is... is this a new bow? So to play him I told him no. He then tells me that it needs a new string, and one of the cams look bent. I packed the bow up and told him no thanks, not interested. Took the same bow to a different shop. And decided to see how honest he was. Showed him the bow, he checked it over, commented on how pristine shape I have kept it in. Even asked me jokingly if I ever shot the thing. We then selected some Beman Carbon arrows with Muzzy heads for it. He said he had some in the shop that would fit the bow. Got them shot it three times and told me it was already tuned. So I purchased a dozen new carbon arrows from him and some Muzzy heads. He never charged me for inspection, testing, or anything other then what I purchased.

Maybe its the bow you have, but almost any shop I go to around here have strings on the rack to fit my bow.

Does that style of bow have the metal cables with a teardrop on each end that the bow string connects too? If yes then many shops should carry that style and the last time I priced one a few years ago, it was about $15 IIRC.

I now have a newer bow that has 2 cables (no metal, all string) and a string, I buy mine from ProLine strings and the complete set (I always buy when they run a sale) runs about $60 shipped to my door.

BuckDoeHunter,

You are right about the bow. It has a metal cable with the tear-drops on each end. The bowstring I need is PSE 2863 which is a 22-strand, 56 inch string with 6 inch servings on both end and a 6 in center serving with a gap for the peep sight.

I did quite a few Internet searches and wasn't able to find anything less than about $47.00 bucks. I will try Proline and see what they have. Thanks for the advice.

Cayuga,

You are right in that many, small mom and pop archery stores (and archery departments of big stores) are all about making as much money as they can - just like auto/TV repair shops).

Thanks.

BuffKiller

This may be another source for you

http://stores.ebay.com/Bradco-Outdoors/ ... =443103919

I have ordered a few items from his store and everything was as advertised and the prices were good, maybe fire off an email to them and see what they have, their prices are what I remember that type of string went for.

Hope you find one for the PSE, my PSE Elite was a good shooter and very accurate.

Latest posts

Back