Broadheads... my brain hurts...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time bow hunter and have tried too many BH to count over the years.
I would not recommend forward opening expandable BH. tried several and all did funny things at impact on qtring deer.
I have had great success with rear opening expandable BH for the most part, Shoot Rage (original) not as happy with their 2.3" or hypo.
Fixed blades follow the KISS rule to a point, it takes a lot of effort to get them to fly true in a fast bow.
I shot TH100 for many years and had to go through lots of ferrels to find perfectly straight ones so they would fly like FPs
Nothing penetrates better then fixed BH

I shoot 70#s at 296 fps and I blow through the whitetails here in DE, PA and MD with Rage BH and the holes that these BH leave ... make for short tracking. Probably have ~30 bow kills with Rage and all have opened as expected

Not saying you should use Rage BH, just saying that my experience is that they open on impact, in fact I have never had a mechanical fail to open and I have lots of data points.

Entrance wound using Rage on hard qtring doe

IMG_0830_zpsrvlo2yhs.jpg

Exit wound using Rage on on slightly qtring buck, arrow was stuck in ground after complete pass through
IMG_0849_zpsdzirbfu4.jpg

Latest posts

Back