Texas hogs under a full moon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batchief909

Reaction score
A group of 11 of us from Indiana ventured down to Texas for a 3 day hog hunt with Pope Brothers hunting ranch. This is the 14th year of this same group going down there,,my 2nd. We took a few... :wink: :lol:

hoghunt2013026_zps5c8cecdf.jpg

wow.. that's a lot of pork piled there. Congratulations on what appeared to be a fantastic hunt!

We brought back around 10-1200 pounds of pork. Still boning and getting things in order for the Saturday grind for sausage. Lots of these were kept in whole quarters,,tenders,,backstraps,,etc. There were 2 or 3 guys who used those green lights,,which didn't put them at much advantage. Hunting Texas during night hours with a full moon, and a good scope is all that is really needed...plus a lot of luck in being where they are. I took a 275+ pound boar who will be all sausage, and a 200 pound sow which I kept quartered for later use. Two guys drove to the ranch and back, hauling the guns, gear, and coolers.

And yes...we had a blast! 8)

I was watching a TV show today on one of them learning channel things about hog problems in the United States. They were in Texas, Florida, and Hawaii (of all places.. I never thought of them having a hog problem but they do). It was interesting to see the different ways they hunted them. In Florida they used dogs and set pens. One pen caught thirteen one night. In Texas they used dogs. It was a good show. But they showed some of the herds of hogs moving at night. Very impressive.

Back