Wild hog hunting methods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
A while back I bought a FoxPro Spitfire remote controlled electronic caller. The original purpose is to hunt varmints like coyotes in my home area. I know that you can get chips and download different sounds onto the device. I recall seeing some for wild hog.

I was wondering if anyone has used either a hand call or electronic call for hogs? If so, what has been your success? Thanks

I've called in several hogs, but it has been a 50/50 success ratio at best.
For the most part, feral hogs are very vocal critters. The lead sow is constantly communicating with the rest of group while traveling.
Probably the best call to use would be a pig in distress. A sow will come charging in if she thinks something is after one of her younguns.
The problem with calling them is the subtleties is some of thier vocals. The wrong call at the wrong time will send them running for cover.
The call not to use is a low growl. This is a warning to other hogs that something is not right. A sharp loud grunt means run for your life.

I hunt n trap hogs here in east texas all the time. I personally have never had any success calling a hog in.
the best methods I have found to pull hogs into a area are.
1. A scratching post , a simple T post with a burlap sack wrapped around it put some diesel on the sack.
2. A watering hole hogs really rely on water to cool off they don't sweat
3. This is a sweat feed mix recipe I made last year it trapped me over 3000 pounds of hogs
bag of corn
4 packs grape cool aid
Two bags of raging acorn deer attractant Two bags of raging chestnut
two cans of peanuts
5 pounds of sugar
5 gallons of water
mix in big plastic tote
dig a 2 foot hole cover bottom with mix and cover with about a foot of dirt then put a small amount on top of ground .... get ready to hunt, you will need to watch daily for rooting but once they start they will be back
4. Hunt the early day after a good hard rain and sun is out they love it
5. When the acorns start rotting they start hitting the corn

Back